World's smallest subwoofer? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2011, 03:00 PM   #11
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Now that is TINY is the driver gonna fit?
Old 16th November 2011, 03:07 AM   #12
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
Now that is TINY is the driver gonna fit?
Good observation,Yes they should fit as I can see if the the drivers are mounted in reverse,i.e. with visible magnets.

Complementing the HR picture with an MJK simulation showing that the stuffing is essential for good performance:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2xTB-W2-1625SA_OD-TL_MJK.JPG (308.9 KB, 171 views)
Old 16th November 2011, 04:01 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaspud View Post
Where did you set the LPF?
  • The impedance curves say the box tuning frequency is ~50Hz, and the vent tuning frequency is just under 40Hz.
  • The calculations from Vance Dickason's book say the box tuning frequency is ~47Hz - close enough.
  • the nearfield recording of the port peaks right at 50Hz. I guess it's supposed to peak at the box tuning frequency, not the vent tuning frequency. I don't know.
However, note that my initial model was wrong, and I don't know why. I didn't optimize box volume (by, for example, putting stuff inside of it), only vent length. So I may have been able to get an even better response by changing Vb.

This is the first time good ole' Audua has given be a bad model. I'm guessing it has something to do with the way I powered the woofers. When modeling dual-woofer enclosures, Speakerworkshop asks if the drivers are in series or in parallel, and tells me to use different tuning frequencies/ vent lengths depending on which I choose. But I'm not wiring them in series or in parallel. I have a separate amp channel driving each driver. I also wonder if maybe there is a phase difference between left and right channels in my D/A converter (Behringer UCA222). That would really mess things up!

The last picture just shows that if I test the impedance of the subwoofer with the drivers out-of-phase the impedance peak from the port disappears - which makes sense. Not really informative, I just tried it out of curiosity.

-Byron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg impedance curve series in phase.jpg (163.4 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg comp subwoof_+2cm F-R curves.jpg (319.6 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg impedance curve series opposite phase.jpg (138.8 KB, 123 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!