converting full range to low range for a sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 10" alpine sub in a ported box hooked up with a computer PSU and an old 100w optimus amp in my room, the problem is I need to figure out how to convert the full range audio which is going into the amp to a low frequency for the sub sub so it doesn't distort and sound bad. I figure that I could do it with a head unit that supports "sub out" but i'm not sure how long it would take me to find one for cheap or free. this is really annoying me, does anyone have an answer?

P.S. here is a link to a video of how I have the amp set up with the psu.

Car amplifier in your house - YouTube

Thanks

It seems to me the sound is not coming from a mic, rather it's a recording added to your video. The sound is in STEREO while your demonstrating your MONO amp, and the sound doesn't change when you move your camera around.

Not to say that someone could not record with 2 mics, I just don't think that is the case here.

You even tried to trick us by turning it off, then on again.

If you are running the amp to a single woofer with no other speakers on that amp, the input (line level) can be filtered. Doing it at line level means the components will be less expensive than doing it at speaker level. Planet10 has a calculator here:

TLS.org | Passive Line-Level Crossover

Is there any device that automatically does this? or could you explain in lehmans terms what I would need to do to achieve this?

Thanks

It seems to me the sound is not coming from a mic, rather it's a recording added to your video. The sound is in STEREO while your demonstrating your MONO amp, and the sound doesn't change when you move your camera around.

Not to say that someone could not record with 2 mics, I just don't think that is the case here.

You even tried to trick us by turning it off, then on again.

the sound was added after the video, but the same song was playing on the speaker at the time. I did this because the video was to show off how the amp was set up, not how good that particular speaker was.

I see, I think that would work good for my purposes but I can't seem to find a price anywhere on there site (other than shipping) which doesn't seem to list the united states i'm also on a very tight budget. so it probably wouldn't work for me unless it was under $20-$25 U.S.

I actually also had a similar idea, that was to hook up an equalizer, but I quickly realized that that would not work. :mad:

You can try and find a broken amp with a big ol' transformer in it and use that for a choke coil and then buy an inexpensive capacitor as a shunt. That would be a passive speaker level crossover but you have to take someone with you that knew what they were looking for. Other than that you can buy an iron core choke like this one:

Erse Super Q 12mH 16 AWG 500W Inductor 266-948

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.