Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2011, 02:38 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

BTW, taking your advice into consideration I searched the net for reviews on the TH118 and found this:

BLOG.CHANNELLIVEPRODUCTIONS.COM: ..:: Channel Live Production's - Danley TH-118 Review ::..

I will try contacting the guy to ask more questions, get back to you on this if he responds.
Old 14th November 2011, 02:41 PM   #42
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

I C well if you've got to buy something outright maybe you should demo a Danley I'm sure they can set you up with something good. Other than that I'd take a serious look at the Void Bass Guide and consider getting some processing to handle a couple channels of delay so you can work on the spill over problem.
Old 15th November 2011, 07:34 AM   #43
Chaps is offline Chaps  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
I don't know Dan, the TH118 design seems close to the EV T18 subs I had and if they are then that's definitely not the bass I am seeking
But it's not the same design at all. A T18 is a reflex/bandpass/tapped hybrid. It has a chamber in front of the speaker as you can see here: http://obrazki.elektroda.pl/3834693400_1305038375.jpg .. A "real" tapped horn looks like this ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
-As you can see, it's not designed in the same way.

Also, take a look at the T18 response: http://www.freespeakerplans.com/foru...php&id=215&t=1
Hold it up againt the TH118 and it is night and day
Old 15th November 2011, 11:27 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info, I like the review of it, waiting on a reply from the dealer to see what that will cost and also trying to contact the guy who gave the review.
Old 15th November 2011, 04:58 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
Thanks for the info, I like the review of it, waiting on a reply from the dealer to see what that will cost and also trying to contact the guy who gave the review.
While you are waiting for that, you can compare the frequency response of the DSL TH-115 (purple trace) TH-118 (white trace) and the Welter Systems Keystone 18, (blue trace).

Art Welter
Attached Images
File Type: png TH-115,118 & Keystone.png (74.4 KB, 398 views)
Old 15th November 2011, 06:05 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Mike...
I pm'ed you about my TH-18's. Hit me up if you want to check them out we can set them up!
Old 15th November 2011, 06:15 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to teachjava
Quote:
As Bennett writes “The drivers are arranged isobarically, and then coupled to an "FEA optimized acoustic transformer" or a horn to you and me.”

Anyone looking at the pictures Bennett posted who is familiar with tapped horns can recognize that the M421 is a tapped horn using an isobaric drive.

Art Welter
I visited the factory in South Tacoma and got to see one being built. It's a dual isobaric tapped horn. It's an absolute monster, yet easy to move as it has handles built in and wheels. Oh, it's also narrower than a door.

Way to go guys!
Old 15th November 2011, 06:19 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
Mike...
I pm'ed you about my TH-18's. Hit me up if you want to check them out we can set them up!
m R g S r,

If you have any access to other "standard" commercial cabinets (like EV or JBL, ideally an SRX-728) you could do a side by side test between your TH-18 and them I'd be forever in your debt.

Well, actually I'd even pay you to do it, hate being in debt :^).

A simple sine wave tone at multiple frequencies with the same drive voltage would be sufficient.

By the way, are your TH-18s loaded with 18 sound or B&C, or both?

Art
Old 15th November 2011, 07:20 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

I don't have any commercial subs available, or anything that could really be considered competitive with the TH18's

I wouldn't take your $ if I did have the ability to test both side by side!

I have 2 cabinets both loaded with the 18sound 2400 drivers. I couldn't justify the price premium of the 9600c drivers from 18 sound, or the price of the b&c 115 at the time.
Old 15th November 2011, 07:46 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
I don't have any commercial subs available, or anything that could really be considered competitive with the TH18's

I wouldn't take your $ if I did have the ability to test both side by side!

I have 2 cabinets both loaded with the 18sound 2400 drivers. I couldn't justify the price premium of the 9600c drivers from 18 sound, or the price of the b&c 115 at the time.
Are you saying your two DSL TH-118 are loaded with 18LW2400 ?

I was aware that DSL used both the 18NLW9600 and the BC18SW115, but unaware they offered the 18LW2400, which has only 9.5 mm Xmax, compared to 14-15 mm for the other two drivers.

Of course, that is probably only about a 4 dB difference if one has the power available to push to Xmax.

Without huge power, the 18LW2400 may be louder.

Hide this!Advertise here!