15" kicker l7 30hz box design help !!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
NEO Dan , bjorno ,
First of all I am sorry for my bad english...
I am planning to buy Kicker 15L7D2 tomorrow and I need your precious advices . I have to go with Car Sub because I could not find HT Sub Driver in my town.
Tapped Horn Loaded design is too big for my room and I think that Kicker Square drivers playing agressively if you infront of the driver.
Could you please help me to find best possible 35 hz Bandpass design for this sub? Maybe I can get better result than sealed or ported designs for SQ .

..This box takes very little floor space..

Agree with Dan..A BP box would at least occupy >60 x 60 x 60 cm^2 floor space..See picture:

aakenator:...35 hz Bandpass design for this sub?..

IMO,I think you should consider an optimal closed box (Small footprint +f-3dB=~39 Hz) instead and use EQ for BW down to 35 Hz.

b:)

Attachments

• Kicker_08-15inch-L7D2_BP-and-Closed.GIF
    Kicker_08-15inch-L7D2_BP-and-Closed.GIF
    106.3 KB · Views: 165
This design is more efficient and has better response and power handling than the sealed box. Use the 2008 or 2011 S15L74 driver with the coils wired in series to make an 8 ohm speaker. This configuration will allow you to run up to two subwoofers on your bridged amp and give you >1000w each.

I changed my order with S15L74 ....and decided to go with Horn Loaded Box..aakenator

Hi, S15L74? The T/S may be different..I don't think a horn loaded box will be smaller than a stuffed Quarter-wave design: OD T-TQWT (Offset Driver Tapped- Tapered-Quarter-Wave -Tube) as mentioned earlier in the tread that would have wider BW than without OD.

Here is a comparison simulation showing the BW improvement of a OD type that should comprise at least two folds:

Attachments

• Kicker_08 15inch L7 D2_T-TQWT_OD-TL_NeoDan-versus-b.GIF
    Kicker_08 15inch L7 D2_T-TQWT_OD-TL_NeoDan-versus-b.GIF
    76.4 KB · Views: 189
In the design I posted I found in the HR model that there was no difference between the two opening sizes. bjorno liked the way the smaller opening modeled in the MJK worksheets, and if you don't mind building the driver into the box you can do the smaller opening. Please remember this is meant to be used with a HPF ~25-30Hz. If you build it please let us know what you think of it.

248886d1321049188t-15-kicker-l7-30hz-box-design-help-mouth_detail.png
...Question, if S5 = 991.93 cm2 or 12.40^2", then why is the opening 16^2" or 1651.61 cm2? I get that the sub's outer frame is 15.625^2" and will fit easily in a 16^2" hole...

Hi, You're right, The simulation depends most on the S4 area and the length of L34.

The influence of S5 + L45 i is minimal. I thought NEODan added these in order to put emphasis on an actual built, larger, terminus area..
( It would be more correct when simulating, to decrease the L34 from 22” to at about 7.5” (= distance from the driver cone to the terminating port area center.).

I've shown before in other design suggestions: If a lid with a terminus port is used that normally 'visibly' covers ~2/3 of the entire cone area: If.. detached.., the T-TQWT turns into a OD-TL.

Thus, the length of the airways is shortened, a couple of Hz is lost for the lower end BW and more important: the FR curve is more or less 'chamfered' off.

Should the opening be 16" x 9.625" to match the 991.93 cm2 mouth?

Thats' what I would prefer too but I would choose a terminus area of 7.5” x 20.5” placed as low as possible and increase the enclosure height 8”.

b:)

Attachments

• Kicker_08 15inch L7 D2_T-TQWT_OD-TL_NeoDan-versus-b-new.JPG
    Kicker_08 15inch L7 D2_T-TQWT_OD-TL_NeoDan-versus-b-new.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 57
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.