repairing b-52 18"220s subwoofer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2011, 05:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default repairing b-52 18"220s subwoofer

Hi, own a b-52 18" 1000 watt subwoofer and its voicecoil was sadly ruined by an idiot driver who loaded it facing towards the sky and went really fast through a bunch of potholes, sub ruined.. wouldnt make a sound when i plugged it in when i got home and made a scratching noise when i moved the driver... so i am taking it apart, slowly peeling the cone off the frame and then i will peel the suspension off the magent so i can get the whole thing out and try to fix the voicecoil.

my question is what type of glue should i use to put this high powered speaker back together?

Basscrime
Old 7th December 2011, 02:11 AM   #2
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

I've used thick cyanoacrylate with insta-set. It will harden like a rock in seconds.

I've used this one:
BSI MAXI-CURE Extra Thick 1/2 oz. Brand New!! | eBay

but you can also try some like these:
BSI IC-2000 Black Rubber Toughened CA 1/2 oz. Brand New | eBay

BSI INSTA-CURE+ Gap Filling 1 oz. Brand New!! | eBay

Insta-set accelerator:
BSI-151 INSTA-SET Accelerator For all CA Glues 2oz. Safe with Plastic / Foam USA (707336151009) | eBay
Old 9th December 2011, 05:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basscrime View Post
Hi, own a b-52 18" 1000 watt subwoofer and its voicecoil was sadly ruined by an idiot driver who loaded it facing towards the sky and went really fast through a bunch of potholes, sub ruined.. wouldnt make a sound when i plugged it in when i got home and made a scratching noise when i moved the driver... so i am taking it apart, slowly peeling the cone off the frame and then i will peel the suspension off the magent so i can get the whole thing out and try to fix the voicecoil.

my question is what type of glue should i use to put this high powered speaker back together?

Basscrime
Before opening it up, check if the top plate has shifted.
If it has, the pole piece may be pinching the voice coil. It may be possible to shift it back into position with clamps and re glue it without taking the speaker apart.
Old 9th December 2011, 10:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

took it apart and the inside part of the coil got seriously damaged, the negative connector got ripped right off its post connecting from the voicecoil to the speaker cone, im gonna experiment to see if i can ever get anything out of it again but chances are slim.

Hide this!Advertise here!