Where to place the port (part 2) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2011, 07:36 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

The reason I do not want the ports pointed towards my glass is because I had a similar set up in my car before and it decided to blow my trunk lock right off..and put a crack in my back window. About to pay this dude $150 to make it for me because you're confusing the heck out of me.
1995 Buick Skylark Custom: Hifonics HIF2000D amp Big 3 Upgrade 1/0 gauge wire 3 10" ALUM10N Audiobahns XS Power XP2000 battery Sony CDX-GT43IPW head unit 12k Kensun headlights L.E.D back Kensun lights Street Glow blue neon light interior
Old 4th November 2011, 07:40 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carshateme View Post
The reason I do not want the ports pointed towards my glass is because I had a similar set up in my car before and it decided to blow my trunk lock right off..and put a crack in my back window. About to pay this dude $150 to make it for me because you're confusing the heck out of me.
I see, you want to port the cabinet for the added low end, then throw the added low end away by having it get lost in the trunk.

Makes perfect sense to me
Old 4th November 2011, 08:19 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Well I came up with a new design, since you are arguing about low ends..blah blah. lol.

New specs:
Box: 32"w x 13"h x 20"d.
Port: 3" w x 11.5"h x 21.5"d

..although it will one tight fit...I will be trying to put the subs on like most subs are...towards the trunk opening, and putting the Slot port in the center with a short divider going about 6" from the wall in the center of the port. Will have a sketch done when I get out of work..

Question can I have a 3" gap between cut around.
Ex. my depth is 20 inch...cut off 1.5in for the walls, gives you 18.5in to play with...so use 15.5in and stop, go over 3 inches from that wall and then 6 in from there.
1995 Buick Skylark Custom: Hifonics HIF2000D amp Big 3 Upgrade 1/0 gauge wire 3 10" ALUM10N Audiobahns XS Power XP2000 battery Sony CDX-GT43IPW head unit 12k Kensun headlights L.E.D back Kensun lights Street Glow blue neon light interior
Old 4th November 2011, 10:14 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well I came up with a new design, since you are arguing about low ends..blah blah. lol.

New specs:
Box: 32"w x 13"h x 20"d.
Port: 3" w x 11.5"h x 21.5"d

..although it will one tight fit...I will be trying to put the subs on like most subs are...towards the trunk opening, and putting the Slot port in the center with a short divider going about 6" from the wall in the center of the port. Will have a sketch done when I get out of work..

Question can I have a 3" gap between cut around.
Ex. my depth is 20 inch...cut off 1.5in for the walls, gives you 18.5in to play with...so use 15.5in and stop, go over 3 inches from that wall and then 6 in from there.
An "L" shaped port will work OK, round the corner. Good idea to round the outside corners too, to avoid chuffing noise.
The extra resistance of the "L" bend will probably tune a little lower than a straight port.
Old 4th November 2011, 11:07 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Alright I got the pictures now.. I want to know your opinion on this one...it was one of my a design for my audiobahn subs...and I'm using L bend as you recommended.

The lines in the center represent the sub and how far it will go in. Now I have already calculated everything carefully...after subtracting the port volume from the box volume and subtracting the sub displacement, I got a box with 3.01 Cu ft volume, which is perfect. The volume recommended for these subs is 1.5. I don't know about the center piece b/w the port...but a guy name barron on here recommended it a while ago. I used it on my audiobahn box, and it works great.

The extra face plate is just insurance that my box won't blow apart...and I don't know think I'll be able to screw the sub in the first layer with out splitting the upper wood. So thus the face plate will be used.

X-ray:

Click the image to open in full size.

Normal:

Front view:

Last edited by carshateme; 4th November 2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 5th November 2011, 01:46 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I also made another model with the subs upward...pretty much the same specs and such, I favor the first one I made though instead of this...but if it's better, I'd use this one.
Unlike the first one, the ports are 2" x 18.5" x 21" with a 4" bracket in the middle...thought I don't think that bracket is a smart idea for such a small width port.

X-ray:

Normal:

Old 5th November 2011, 02:02 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ah thank you for the picture, I didn't know what he was talking about...now I gotta go look for a triangular port calculator.
Calculate the area of a rectangular port using the triangle port "leg" dimensions. Divide by 2. Divide the answer by "pi". Take the square root of the answer. That gives the equivalent round port radius. Multiply by 2 to give you the equivalent round port diameter. You can also calculate this backwards if needed.
Old 5th November 2011, 02:10 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitizen17 View Post
Calculate the area of a rectangular port using the triangle port "leg" dimensions. Divide by 2. Divide the answer by "pi". Take the square root of the answer. That gives the equivalent round port radius. Multiply by 2 to give you the equivalent round port diameter. You can also calculate this backwards if needed.
Too much work...for a lazy person lol.

Sticking with the slot port.

Hide this!Advertise here!