Obtaining TSP etc with limited data - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2011, 10:38 PM   #11
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Not a chance in hell the Qms number is correct, consequently also Qts.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 3rd November 2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:01 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero D View Post
To try & see if it's possible to get complete, or as near as, TSP & other data from driver specs with limited amount of published info. Not all manufacturers seem to be as helpful as others, or have gone out of business etc. Plus some people might find it useful to evaluate older drivers, without physically having them. Then it would be possible to back engineer them & plug the data into software for design comparisons etc.

I just used that driver as an example of something with not much published data. & it's what initially aroused my interest in attempting to try & achieve this.

It might be enlightening to take any driver even with full specs & just use a few of them, & plug those into the named programs, and/or others, in various different combinations, & see how much extra useful data we can actually acrue, without the full info

Personally i think it's interesting that "seemingly" so much extra data can be got from initially not a lot Also previously myself, & maybe others, would have bypased certain "possibly" good drivers due to the lack of extended data. If this can now be got via this method =
If you try taking only the parameters you had available for the HF driver, you will find the extrapolated results fairly useless.

As an example, the Electro Voice EVM 15L and 15B use the same motor, voice coil, cone diameter and both have an Fs of 43 Hz.

Your extrapolation would say they have the same TS parameters, yet Qes and Qms are quite different for both speakers.

The only difference between the two drivers is a slight difference in the weight and shape of the cones, and even though on paper their LF response looks quite similar in the same size BR box, they sound totally different, especially when pushed hard.
Put them in horn cabinets, and the difference is huge.
Old 4th November 2011, 09:07 AM   #13
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten

Not a chance in hell the Qms number is correct, consequently also Qts.
Hi, yeah i now realise "something" is not quite right, but now we may have one of the reasons !

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McBean Post # 2399 Hornresp

Input values in Hornresp are limited to eight characters. To display 0.0000768 would require nine characters - using scientific notation, only eight are required
Bingo, that "could" be why ? I'll retry & see how it pans out now, but due to the 8 limitation entry it'll have to be with a different driver. Of course i realise that it's not an HR limitation per se, as HR isn't designed to model drivers such as that, AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys

If you try taking only the parameters you had available for the HF driver, you will find the extrapolated results fairly useless.

Your extrapolation would say they have the same TS parameters, yet Qes and Qms are quite different for both speakers.
It does appear that way now But based on the above, that "might" help to assist in some way/s We'll see

Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!