Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2003, 02:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default twofold subwoofer question.

Hi everyone this is my first post.

So here goes... I have spent the last 8 months on board the USS Carl Vinson planning what i want to do with my subwoofers when i get home. as of now i have a sono-tube subwoofer that is a bit too big for my taste (9 cubic feet). I also have two old car subwoofers (MTX Terminators, 15 inchers, small magnet, all around cheap) I was wondering if using both of them for passive radiators for my good speaker ( a dayton 15" DVC sub, nice speaker, hefty one.) in a smaller box would be going overboard? i could use both but i don't know if using both would be "twice as good". and my second question is.........
Is there any compound i can use to prevent the rubber surround from decaying? we use silicone for rubber gaskets. i don't know how many different types of "rubber" there is. i have seen "butyl rubber" and propolene or polypropolene or something of that sort. any input would be appreciated as the terminators are old and i don't want them pooping out before the dayton.

THX,
mike
Old 7th September 2003, 03:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mike,

Welcome home and welcome to the forum.

This is a very interesting idea. Iíve seen somewhere in a past life where a passive circuit was added to a PR/secondary woofer to tailor the response of the PR. I wish I had more information I could offer, but it has been a long time since Iíve read about it (maybe in Audio Amateur or Speaker Builder).

2 PRís would be better then one if you have the mounting space. Remember, the PR, like a port, is the output for the sub in the lowest octave so will need to move a lot of air.

Hide this!Advertise here!