18" LMS-Ultra - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2011, 07:24 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinMonster View Post
Good analogy. More HP, enough HP, can overcome the mass.

I can see it clearly that way.

Thanks.
Right right . Jet powered dragster semi anyone? \

Quote:
Thank you for making my point.

Budget is why you stop..
And you for making mine. Budget is why YOU stop. For other people it may be size, weight or some other consideration. That was the point I was trying to make as well. You have a certain set of considerations that you need to look at for your particular situation but it may not hold for someone elses. That was all that I meant.

If you put the LMS in a 2.5 cu ft sealed box and give it 5000watts with a flexible EQ it is a tough system to outperform overall with another system of the same size. You are prepared to utilize quite a bit more space than that, so that value isn't there for you. BTW 2 of the 15's probably will outperform the single 18" in most aspects for less money. On a side note if you wanted 4 of the 12's I could ship you 4 for 1G. I'm selling my 4 LMSR-12's.
Old 4th November 2011, 07:46 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Ricci View Post

And you for making mine. Budget is why YOU stop. For other people it may be size, weight or some other consideration.

On a side note if you wanted 4 of the 12's I could ship you 4 for 1G. I'm selling my 4 LMSR-12's.
Josh,

Perhaps this guy will buy your 4 LMSR-12's for his ride, budget does not seem to constrain him
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jet Pwr.jpg (73.6 KB, 88 views)
Old 5th November 2011, 03:45 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Josh,

Perhaps this guy will buy your 4 LMSR-12's for his ride, budget does not seem to constrain him
My corvette would maul his 60' and the braking distance would be a laughable comparison.

Its 959rwhp and 1003rwtq....with a 75 shot and 822rwhp just on boost. Trucks actually make the point well because you cant get the 60' to match a lightweight car even if you could beat it on the big end for the 1/4. Now lets see the braking distance of that truck on the big end.

Mass in this situation wouldnt help your argument but nice try.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 5th November 2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 5th November 2011, 03:59 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Ricci View Post

And you for making mine. Budget is why YOU stop. For other people it may be size, weight or some other consideration. That was the point I was trying to make as well. You have a certain set of considerations that you need to look at for your particular situation but it may not hold for someone elses. That was all that I meant.

If you put the LMS in a 2.5 cu ft sealed box and give it 5000watts with a flexible EQ it is a tough system to outperform overall with another system of the same size. You are prepared to utilize quite a bit more space than that, so that value isn't there for you. BTW 2 of the 15's probably will outperform the single 18" in most aspects for less money. On a side note if you wanted 4 of the 12's I could ship you 4 for 1G. I'm selling my 4 LMSR-12's.
You took the thread into a competely wider range of topics than my initial question. Talking about 20 12's and budget constraints had nothing to do with my simple question of what was I missing with the 18. All I asked was why someone would buy a single 18 (per sub) when two of those 15's (per sub) cost less and outperformed it. Now I have the answer; it isnt better.

I need one more of those 12's at the moment if its essentially perfect. PM me to talk about payment.

Jet powered trucks cant stop very fast. Thats the other 1/2 of the equation.
Old 5th November 2011, 12:50 PM   #55
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My corvette would maul his 60' and the braking distance would be a laughable comparison.

Its 959rwhp and 1003rwtq....with a 75 shot and 822rwhp just on boost. Trucks actually make the point well because you cant get the 60' to match a lightweight car even if you could beat it on the big end for the 1/4. Now lets see the braking distance of that truck on the big end.

Mass in this situation wouldnt help your argument but nice try.
I think perhaps we're stretching the car analogy a bit on the semi truck. It would probably be more like comparing your Vette to the same Vette, but perhaps a convertible, being a little heavier. I'm sure you could bump your cam a little and dial up your boost and make that heavier Vette just as fast as yours.

Knowing a bit about cars, you know about horsepower to weight ratios, which is exactly the same phenomenon at play here. As long as the ratio of cone mass to motor strength is kept the same, or improved, I wouldn't expect the transient response of the driver to suffer.
Old 5th November 2011, 12:57 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDyna View Post
Knowing a bit about cars, you know about horsepower to weight ratios, which is exactly the same phenomenon at play here. As long as the ratio of cone mass to motor strength is kept the same, or improved, I wouldn't expect the transient response of the driver to suffer.
I got that a bit further back in the thread. Thanks again.

Hide this!Advertise here!