small footprint speaker for kick bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope this is the right place to post this. if not, please direct me to the right place.
I live in a dorm room and I would like to have a speaker with a small footprint to add kick bass to my present setup when playing party music. I have different speakers for different kinds of sound - Quad ESL's, dynamic single speakers and some JBL 1970's studio monitors.
When I play party music I would like to be able to add the kick bass sound I have experienced at clubs and discos. Speaking with some people I know about this I can tell that most of them are very keen to advice me to get horn cabinets fitted with 15" speakers like to ones used at clubs and discos. However, I would really prefer to use a smaller speaker(s) (8") in a cabinet with a small footprint (maybe tower) to realize this. The height of the room is about 2,5 m/8 feet. With this in mind, would anyone here please advice me if there is any cabinet construction you would consider useable for my purpose?

A 15" in a ported box (not a bulky horn) will play loud. Maybe you can find a 10" or 12" that is a bit less efficient (96 ~ 97 dB / 1w / 1m), with good power handling. Expect a pleated surround, not foam or rubber, and a ported box that won't be mistaken for a subwoofer, an F3 of 60 to 80 Hz. As long as you're not big into dubstep, a good kick should make up for the missing octave. On the other hand... multiple smaller drivers can move as much air as a larger one, and they also become more efficient as a group (than a single driver), so if you found a good deal on a bunch of 6" woofers (like 8 of them), you might get the equivalent of a 15" but in a box that will fit under a bed. Play with a box modelling program, preferably one that comes with a large database of current drivers (is there one online?). Or pick candidates that are available and attractively priced and enter the parameters and see what you can make of them. Don't rule out car subs if the price is right.

A 15" in a ported box (not a bulky horn) will play loud. Maybe you can find a 10" or 12" that is a bit less efficient (96 ~ 97 dB / 1w / 1m), with good power handling. Expect a pleated surround, not foam or rubber, and a ported box that won't be mistaken for a subwoofer, an F3 of 60 to 80 Hz. As long as you're not big into dubstep, a good kick should make up for the missing octave. On the other hand... multiple smaller drivers can move as much air as a larger one, and they also become more efficient as a group (than a single driver), so if you found a good deal on a bunch of 6" woofers (like 8 of them), you might get the equivalent of a 15" but in a box that will fit under a bed.

About underlined, you're bit wrong. multiple small drivers don't do one big if they in line. Only in the case they are for example in 2x2 or 3x3 matrix, they are efficient acoustically. Otherwise, one big driver couples to air better than many small ones.

---

Proper and simple home disco speaker could be floor/corner located like Klipsch Heresy. Maybe with 10" PA woofer tuned at 50 Hz + 1" horn driver. Corner makes them efficient in bass, 10" woofer gives kick in upper bass.

i think the ts only want's a "sub" or 2.
msgr is correct about better distribution of multiple setup.(if thats what you want)
however in this case an easy way is to use one sub corner loaded .
for example a triangular shape th in the corner has a small footprint,but can give verry low extension.
its up to the ts how low ,how big ,how much money,how much effort ect ect.

i setup kick drum 40hz +15 db high q ,-10 db ~200 hz low q and +10 db 2khz medium q and some 8khz depending on type of sound.

What about one or two of those Anarchy tapped horns that picked up a lot of attention last year? Ive never heard one, but a 6" woofer should have a good punch, the design is inherently efficient, and they're thin enough that even a couple of em could easily be tucked away under a bed or next to a desk

Thanks for your interest. I'd just like to clear up a few things.
I'm not looking for a piece of hi-fi equipment. My interest in this matter is to achieve that not-so-hi-fi disco kick bass for party music.
The idea af hiding the loudspeaker under the bed or other furniture is not useful with my current living conditions. However, there is room for a narrow tower from floor to ceiling in one corner of the room. I assume there is room for 8" or maybe 10" speaker(s) including cabinet, so I'm really keen to know if designs like the ones you recommend are available with less folds? Specifically Martinsson's suggestion 'THAM10 a very compact 10" TH' or the Anarchy tapped horns look interesting. But again, I will like to stress that there possibly will not be room for loudspeaker(s) larger than 8".

What about one or two of those Anarchy tapped horns that picked up a lot of attention last year? Ive never heard one, but a 6" woofer should have a good punch, the design is inherently efficient, and they're thin enough that even a couple of em could easily be tucked away under a bed or next to a desk

I wouldn't use them here. Wrong application: that TH was designed to go low and be reasonably small. Efficiency is in the mid 80s at 2v.

I'd take something of ~12", put it in a too-small ported box, and use some high pass filtering to cut excursion below tuning.

The Cubo 12 might be worth a look here - high efficiency, not much extension past 70Hz. Reckon it'd be perfect for this sort of thing.

Hi BigBoned,

Post #10: "...in one corner of the room. I assume there is room for 8"...".

Here is a doodle I did for a shortened TH-SPUD using two MCM 55-2421. I believe it would deliver what you are looking for, and should be easy enough to move around which sometimes comes in handy. The build can be simplyfied, e.g.: you could build it with a single internal divider, and from 1/2" plywood, the exact dimensions are not that critical. I tried to keep the external dimensions where they should be easy to arrange on a 4'x8' sheet of plywood, and are as narrow as possible for this particular 8" woofer. As any other tapped horn or vented box this will need a low cut (at least 2nd order around 35Hz).

In a solid corner the output may just be scary, but then I scare easily.

Regards,

Attachments

• 2011_Oct23_THSPUD_short_simple.pdf
    20.5 KB · Views: 84
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.