Best UK 10" value driver!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!

This is my first foray into this forum - normally hanging around in the class D section of this site :joker:

Can anyone suggest a good value 10" subwoofer driver in the UK?

It is to be paired with a 120wRMS@4R, 80wRMS@8R module, and has to keep up with two 5" monitor speakers, with the requirement to rattle the windows when required :cool:

Would like to keep size under 40L (ported). Solid response down to 50hz would be great - I realise that sensitivity is at a premium with these smaller drivers, so doesnt need to go super low! Budget is around £50 for the driver would be great, could stretch to a little more maybe?

I have found millions of great drivers on parts-express.com, but no way to get them to the UK! For example the Dayton Audio DCS255-4 (which looks perfect)

Any guidance would be great as I am a little lost! (And frustrated in the seeming lack of good value subwoofer drivers over here in the UK!)

Many thanks in advance

Cheers Chris.

I came across Visaton a few times in my internet trawling - they seem to fit the bill!

I can't understand why the UK seems to be so dry for this kind of driver. In PA (my field) you can import and buy almost every international brand, ie Thai, Italian, Australian, American, etc! I guess the difficulty in sourcing will make the outcome all the more satisfying though :)

Have spent the evening looking for woofers!

I think I've decided on the Peerless XLS 10..

It seems to be suitable for the job - a little over budget at £80.00 delivered, but fits the bill with a 30L cabinet and good response. Should match up well to the Hypex amp module :)

There is a good build guide at this page, incase anyone is interested: Build your own 10" subwoofer, a detailed how-to - Vented box

PE cheapest delivery is $75.00 Fedex Economy unfortunately, Madisound comes out to be $62.00 for shipping.

Unfortunately these are the same price as the woofers!

TheBaronGroog - Drinking is always improved by a good soundsystem though, no? So, build the speakers first then celebrate with a good drink :)

PE cheapest delivery is $75.00 Fedex Economy unfortunately, Madisound comes out to be $62.00 for shipping.

Unfortunately these are the same price as the woofers!

TheBaronGroog - Drinking is always improved by a good soundsystem though, no? So, build the speakers first then celebrate with a good drink :)

I've bought from both and postage was much less-though I only ordered some variovents and the woofer tester. Madisound actually emailed me after taking payment (via paypal) and advised they'd found a cheaper shipping method and REFUNDED the difference-I really couldn't believe it and was very impressed with their customer service throughout:)

Lol-my drinking days are somewhat diminished-I was never much of a drinker (but could polish off a litre of Gin without much worry, Chianti and Rioja slip down like water too when in the mood) as I have a 7 month old at home and my partner can't drink because of medication she is on-so I don't like to rub it in her face!

Have you checked out European sites? I have found a few of late:

Lautsprecher Shop Intertechnik - Loudspeakers > Dayton
Strassacker: Lautsprecher - Boxen - Selbstbau
Scan-Speak
Visaton - Lautsprecher und Zubehör, Loudspeakers and Accessories
Lautsprecher-Chassis | Boxenbau - im Conrad Online Shop günstig kaufen

The 1st one I'd actually found previously, the rest I just googled "Lautsprecher" and easily found them.

"haut parleurs"

Boutique haut parleurs et audio DIY
Haut-parleurs de remplacement de 23 à 28,6 cm
MHP (la Maison du Haut-Parleur) : concepteur français de kits d'enceintes pour la HI-FI et le Home Cinéma...

"altoparlante"

Teleprodotti Store Vendita online altoparlanti componenti dj stage
audiocostruzioni.com - all sorts of audio links

Massive thanks for taking the time to find those links TheBaronGroog - I'll check them out :)

Just realised, are you a member on SP as well baron? If so, thought I recognised that username!

jazko - cheers, they are the ones I'm looking at the moment !

I'll be sure to update this thread once I start making sawdust :-D

It was very similar, "TheBaronGreenback" or something along those lines?

As you said, everyone seems to be a member of a couple of forums, so didn't think it was too ridiculous an assumption :)

Cheers Kjeldsen, unfortunately they seem to be very expensive. Not sure the current GBP/EUR rate is helping! Got a good range of stock though.....

As you said, everyone seems to be a member of a couple of forums, so didn't think it was too ridiculous an assumption :)

Cheers Kjeldsen, unfortunately they seem to be very expensive. Not sure the current GBP/EUR rate is helping! Got a good range of stock though.....

Compared to danish prices they are competitive.

lol-thebarongreenback was the evil Toad in UK cartoon series Danger Mouse:

baron green back - Google Search

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.