Best enclosure for SQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,
Im doing a home theatre install for one of my mates. Im building him a subwoofer box for 2 10" subwoofer I recently bought as well. Basically I want to know what kind of box is best for Sound Quality. I recently made a T-Line subwoofer box for a single 10" and it was amazing. Unfortuantly the box doesn't work with the home theatre. Maybe there are different types of T-lines that get the same boom but in a different shape. I have around about 1m of length, 40-50cm of width and another 1m of height to kind of play around with.

If you need the specs for the subwoofer here they are:
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms

Nominal Power: 225W RMS

Maximum Power: 450W PEAK

Frequency Response: 40 - 1000Hz

Sensitivity: 88dB

Qms: 1.011

Qes: 0.473

Qts: 0.322

Vas: 21.76 litres

Fs: 59.82Hz

Overall Diameter: 258mm

Mounting Holes PCD: 245mm

Cutout Hole Diameter: 235mm

Total Depth: 110mm

Thanks for your help :)

IB infinite baffle. Closed or sealed unit. Could be used in a roof space or basement.
or could be referring to a closed box subwoofer of a specified volume, these can have tight punchy sound for better transient response.

BR bass radiator or passive radiator or less attractively named drone cone.
This is a drive unit without a full motor system, basically an extra cone that moves out with the back wave of the powered or active driver. This is instead of a port to extend the bass.

Passive radiator does not have a magnet and sometimes does not have the voice coil either. It works of the back pressure from the main drive unit so it is a passive device.
These have to be balanced to work with the main drive unit to extend the bass. typically they will have a larger and heavier (carefully weighted) diaphragm than the main drive unit.

Sorry, i'm used to using abbreviations here. Rob covered Infinite Baffle and Passive Radiators very well. BR can also stand for Bass Reflex or Ported subs which work on the same principle as Passive Radiators.

Acoustic suspension uses the calibrated air spring in the box instead of a stiff suspension to allow more linear restoring force. They are very good but finding drivers built for this design theory are rare.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.