Help With T-Line 4 6.5" - Tang Band W6-1139SI - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2011, 06:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help With T-Line 4 6.5" - Tang Band W6-1139SI

I got a good deal on some tang band (W6-1139SI 6-1/2) and Im wondering if anyone has done a t-line box for 4 of these woofers? I saw plans for a single TH but I would really like to use all 4 in my home theater setup. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Old 15th October 2011, 08:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Why not build 4 of the tapped horns? If they're the same as the ones linked in my signature, you'll be very impressed.

Spreading your bass drivers out around the room is known to smooth the in-room low frequency response, so I'd avoid putting them all in one cabinet (plus, build complexity increases somewhat as bracing would be needed).

Chris
Old 15th October 2011, 04:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Very nice read. Im curious the differences between the box in your sig vs this box (38hz or the 30hz version) Tapped Horns
Old 16th October 2011, 09:08 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The parameters of the design are different.

Tapped horns of a given size have a flexibility that allows you to (to an extent) choose the efficiency:extension ratio.
The 30Hz version has an sensitivity in the low 90s. Mine goes 5Hz lower and sensitivity is in the mid 80s. I have plenty of power and a small room so I decided the sensitivity wasn't an issue and went for the extra extension.
The 38Hz version takes this a step further: the sensitivity now is in the high 90s, but extension has suffered again.
You tune these differences using different path lengths and compression ratios.

You have there three designs you could choose from. They're all a little different, so take your pick -
- more extension, low sensitivity
- still very respectable extension, higher sensitivity
- usable extension (most music doesn't go lower than 40Hz), higher sensitivity again.

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!