Please help creating subwoofer enclosure - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2003, 12:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Please help creating subwoofer enclosure

hey everyone,

ive been looking everywhere on the net to find an enclosure that i can create for my home theatre system.

ive already made the 'wicked one' from decware, but just recently ive discovered that some measurements were off which is why the sub didnt sound really REALLy nice, which is really dissapointing for me as that sub took so long to make.

the equipment that i have are
2 x 10" Response XL subs
1 x 350wrms (4ohm) jaycar home amp
and a lot of wire + a hundred or so screws

I have been trying really hard to understand howto find measurements and such for a subwoofer enclosure that i can make but its just taking too much time and i really dont trust myself to come to any conclusion about dimensions when it comes to something that im so new in.

ANY measurements or any links to sites that can help an idiot make an enclosure would be so so soooooooo very much appreciated.

The specs of the subs are :

-Nominal impedance: 4 ohms (both 8ohm coils in parallel)

-Power rating: 200WRMS (total for both coils at 4ohm)

-Sensitivity at 1W@1m: 87.31dB

-Voice coil resistance (Re): 3.5 ohms

-Resonant frequency (Fs): 24.38 hz

-Mechanical Q factor (Qms): 2.639

-Electrical Q factor (Qes): .337

-Total Q factor (Qts): .299

-Equivalent volume (Vas): 73.19Lt

-Cone Area: 0.0346 sq meter

-Voice Coil Diameter: 50mm

-Xmax: 10.5mm

Speaker dimensions: A 260, B 246, C 240

Thanks,
lach
Old 5th September 2003, 10:08 PM   #2
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

DIY SUBS
Old 5th September 2003, 10:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Have you tried plugging your numbers into WinISD ?
Old 6th September 2003, 01:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

hey guys,

yeah ive plugged it into winisd but in the diagram it shows only 1 sub in the enclosure and it doesnt seem to change when i choose 2 driver configuration.

i also wanted to know if it makes a huge difference if i just put 2 drivers in the front of the enclosure like side by side and just double the room inside the enclosure??

in the specifications it tells me that the recommended size for a vented enclosure is :Cabinet Dimensions (internal): 502(H) x 314(W) x 194 (D) mm

does this mean that if i double the dimensions and just wack 2 subs in beside each other and add an extra port taht it will work?

i really am pretty new to this sought of thing, but im really enthusiastic its just i have no one else around to help me out when i have a question.

thanks,
lach
Old 6th September 2003, 03:43 AM   #5
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Put them in a 120 litre box tuned to 25Hz.....
Old 6th September 2003, 05:35 AM   #6
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

>but in the diagram it shows only 1 sub in the enclosure and it doesnt seem to change when i choose 2 driver configuration.

====

For a given alignment, adding a driver requires that you double the Vb and vents.

====

>i also wanted to know if it makes a huge difference if i just put 2 drivers in the front of the enclosure like side by side

====

This isn't a good plan since it will cause excessive vibration unless it's extremely massive, so mount them bipolar (on opposite sides) to cancel them out.

====

>in the specifications it tells me that the recommended size for a vented enclosure is :Cabinet Dimensions (internal): 502(H) x 314(W) x 194 (D) mm

====

OK, not being familiar with this particular driver, I assume you're quoting published specs which may be very inaccurate, so any design based on them could be way off.

If they were mine, I'd try them in ~2.84ft^3 net, tuned to ~25Hz. IOW after the drivers and vent volumes are deducted, though some folks just add 10%, bumping it up to ~3.124ft^3. This equates to inside dims of 28.38" x 17.53" x 10.84". Due to the long vents required if tubular, I would use a shelf vent 1.25"H x 6.75"W x 12.25"L on one of the other sides opposite the drivers.

====

>i really am pretty new to this sought of thing, but im really enthusiastic its just i have no one else around to help me out when i have a question.

====

Well, there's plenty of help on the net......quite a bit of it is even accurate nowadays.

GM
Old 6th September 2003, 07:33 AM   #7
mcp is offline mcp  United States
diyAudio Member

Basing on the specs, seems to be quite a decent driver. Box-Port Alignment is for single driver-ported. Optimal vol at 27L (that's nice and compact for a 10" sub).Doubling the size to 54L and tuning the box to 35Hz will give a slight peak at 40Hz.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 10inchxlported.gif (24.0 KB, 320 views)
Old 6th September 2003, 10:51 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

wow ! thanks so much for all your help guys, what awesome responses!

my only question now is , what do u mean when you say tune to ~35 hz ? im not sure on how im sposed to tune it?

thanks,
lach
Old 6th September 2003, 11:28 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

also, sorry to ask such a remedial question, but what is a shelf vent? ive done some looking around and all ive come up with is that its a rectangular port instead of a circular shaped port?

if you could expand i would appreciate it

cheers,
lach
Old 6th September 2003, 04:57 PM   #10
mcp is offline mcp  United States
diyAudio Member

Tuning a vented box is very easy. Cut off a piece of PVC tube of dia 2.5 inches and 4.1 inches long, cut a hole in the front baffle or back of the box and insert this tube into a 54Litres box and your bass response will look roughly like what is shown in the black graph.

If you prefer to use a smaller box, the red graph is optimal response. With a box of 27Litres internally, use a tube of 2 inch in dia and roughly 7.8 inches long and you will be tuning the box to 33Hz and the character of your bass output will look roughly like the red line.

For sub-woofers, bandpass designs are very popular. This simulation shows your response XL is also well suited for bandpass. With a -3dB at 36Hz and 95Hz and a box of only 28Litres, makes a very appealing sub-woofer.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 10inchxl_bandpass.gif (23.1 KB, 282 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!