Repurposing existing sealed box to ported?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Question: Is there any practical reason to prevent one from having the majority of a pvc port OUTSIDE of the enclosure( meaning maybe 7" inside, and the rest outside) beside cosmetics?

Background:
I acquired two 2.6cuft sealed subwoofer Cabinet from a guy from work and am considering converting them to ported boxes for my "party room".

They are actually ceramic chimney flu liners surrounded by and bonded to two sheets of 3/4 in MDF on each side, with the baffle side and "plate amp" side being just braced mdf (no flu liner :D). They are lined with rigid fibreglass. with the rear stuffed with fibrefill (unknown amount).
They are massive for a sealed 12" woofer box. He originally used them with a pair of Dayton titanic MkIIs back in their heyday, with a final Q of 0.50000

I have no real desire to use them as a sealed box, I have no subwoofers that would work well in that size enclosure, nor do I desire to buy them.

Goal:
Use a pair of subs I have in my basement, design a ported enclosure with V<= 2.6cuft; if the port is external, as low tuned as possible with external tubing, maximizing response to 19Hz (+0-3db to 20Hz), port velocity <19m/s at max power, never reaching the excursion limit of the driver (23mm lin one way xmax).

Note: If I could cut through flu liner I would just use some new css PRs, but alas I cannot!

Other than looking odd, no reason you can't extend the port outside the box. 2.6cu/ft is fine for a decent twelve. I wouldn't tune them so low. Hoffman's iron law. I'd use bigger drivers and boxes for better efficiency for those low frequencies. Human hearing rolls off quite a bit, so you need more SPL to hear those low frequencies with any real impact. Tuning so low also squanders the efficiency of the woofers for higher bass 30hz on up where it has real impact. I'd tune such boxes in the mid 30Hz range, but no lower than 30Hz, If for HT, build bigger boxes.

Space considerations in the room prevent anything larger than this pair of boxes, unfortunately. I would prefer to make a giant LLT style pair with a different driver but right now, 2 subs I already have and a pair of sealed boxes for $35/pair was all I could swing to this project.
So many projects, so little time.

Fs 25.21 Hz
Qms 4.748
Vas 41.71 L
Cms 121.9 umN
Mms 326.8 g
Rms 10.91 mohms
Xmax 23 mm
Xmec 32 mm
Dia 25 cm
Sd 491 sq. cm.
Vd 1.129 L
Qes 0.383
Re 3.6 ohms
Le 1.319 mH
Z 4 ohms
BL 22.07 NA Tm
Pe 1000w (up to)
Qts 0.354
no 0.169
SPL 84.3 1W1m
SPL 87.89 2.8V1m

Attachments

• DIYMA REF12.zip
    721 bytes · Views: 24
A quick sim puts me at 17m/s port velocity @ 25Hz @ 600watts

2.4 cuft box with 5x47.6in vent @21hz

Attachments

• conex.PNG
    conex.PNG
    38.8 KB · Views: 51
  • magresp.PNG
    magresp.PNG
    39.6 KB · Views: 56
  • portvel.PNG
    portvel.PNG
    37.7 KB · Views: 56
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.