what subwoofer driver to go with a Audience A3? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2011, 11:01 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default what subwoofer driver to go with a Audience A3?

Hi all

I came across a nice pair of Audience A3 drivers for a good price and I want to build a 2.1 nearfield monitoring system with them. The A3's will probably be housed in a 2L cabinet, with a 3,5" passive radiator in the back. Considering the fact that the enclosures are pretty small and I will not be able to place them near a wall, my guess is that they will have to be helped by a sub-woofer. How do you go about selecting a sub-woofer driver and enclosure for something like this? The only things I am pretty sure about are the starting points:

1. Since they will be near field monitors, the volume will not have to be deafening.
2. Again given the purpose, the frequency response should be as natural as possible
3. I have a budget of about 200 Euro (250 dollar) for the sub driver
4. Although technically I am not limited to a maximum enclosure size, smaller is more preferable.

So how impossible is that?

I would like to hear your suggestions, and if I may be bold: not just driver models (although of course also welcomed), but please also some kind of "direction of thinking" to help me make a good choice.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 8th October 2011, 11:17 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

As long as it is time aligned (think 6db crossovers) or run wide open but naturally rolling at 100-200hz, I'd use something sealed (qtc .707 or lower) or something tuned below 30hz. I'd go push pull (slot loaded) with some 8" drivers maybe.

Norman
Old 8th October 2011, 11:21 AM   #3
bigLG is offline bigLG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Comment on sub rec

Personally, I haven't seen many great 8" subs. Push-pull is good, but I would look at 10" drivers. Peerless is always a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 8th October 2011, 11:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
As long as it is time aligned (think 6db crossovers) or run wide open but naturally rolling at 100-200hz, I'd use something sealed (qtc .707 or lower) or something tuned below 30hz. I'd go push pull (slot loaded) with some 8" drivers maybe.

Norman
Oh man.. I feel like such a beginner.... I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about! Sorry! Could you please explain a bit for me?

Last edited by erikb1971; 8th October 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 8th October 2011, 11:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default quick reply

"Push-pull" means two woofers, one faces in and the other faces out, then you reverse the wiring on one unit so the cones move in the same direction.
You could do this with two enclosed volumes or mount the drivers so they are "kissing". Google "isobaric" subs to see the pic.
Old 8th October 2011, 12:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Aah I get the push pull... that is basically an expensive substitute for liters! Interesting concept though, especially with one driver with his *** outside the box...
Old 8th October 2011, 12:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes, you've got it.
Old 8th October 2011, 12:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

These methods are good ways to lower distortion too.
Old 8th October 2011, 01:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

the thing is... my budget is not going to double. And the two drivers will ask more from the amp as well right? So that means that you trade in half the volume against two 70 Euro drivers instead of one 200 Euro driver... I am afraid that will be hardly ever a goo solution with a fixed budget or do I see this wrongly?
Old 8th October 2011, 01:49 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes, it is hard on the budget and you are cutting the impedance in half.

Hide this!Advertise here!