Subwoofer - spider glue?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use the Gorilla Super Glue, the high impact formula. It is not instant so it gives you a couple of minutes to get it where you want it. After the adhesive is applied, keep the spider held down by contantly moving a small smooth tool back and fourth across the glued section until the adhesive kicks, never pause, keep moving or lift. Don't use the thin instant adhesives, you need one with some body.

All the best.

Ok thanks for that info, I am from slovenia, but we don't have that kind of glue.

far as I know, I am not allowed to use instant adhesives.

Will EPOXY two-component adhesive do the job?
dry time min.12hour/24hour

I wonder what chemical must be in glue, for successful repair?
In other case i can do more damage with inappropriate glue.

Is Epoxy good solution?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
It seems to be a common problem with those 15" Quatro drivers, I had to do a similar repair on several that I have owned.

I would not recommend using epoxy adhesives for this use.

Do you have available to you a thick(viscous) super glue such as this example This will give the best results.

The alternate would be to use a contact cement such as this example
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You will have to have to lift and hold the spider edge away from the basket with some toothpicks or small wedges, apply the cement to the underside of the spider edge and also the top of the basket and allow it to dry. After it has dried remove the toothpicks or small wedges and apply firm pressure all along the top of the spider edge to help bond it to the basket.

Note: after the repair with either the thick super glue or the contact cement - leave the driver for at least 24 hrs to allow a complete curing of the adhesive before you use the driver again.

Last edited:
I use the Gorilla Super Glue, the high impact formula. It is not instant so it gives you a couple of minutes to get it where you want it. After the adhesive is applied, keep the spider held down by contantly moving a small smooth tool back and fourth across the glued section until the adhesive kicks, never pause, keep moving or lift. Don't use the thin instant adhesives, you need one with some body.

All the best.

I would recommend Gorilla Glue as well..I just put a whole sub box together with it...have 5,000 watts going to it...hasn't blown up yet...that glue is a beast. Only problem with gorilla glue is that it's recommended that it's clamped down for an hour.

Here is the one from Loctite that I have used - you will probably need two containers and you have to apply if fairly quickly.
Ultra Control Super Glue Gel from Loctite Adhesives

You will have to have to lift and hold the spider edge away from the basket with some toothpicks or small wedges, apply the gel to just the metal on the top of the basket. Next remove the toothpicks or small wedges then follow the instructions from
After the adhesive is applied, keep the spider held down by constantly moving a small smooth tool back and fourth across the glued section until the adhesive kicks, never pause, keep moving or lift.

You could also use the Loctite contact adhesive using the instructions I provided in my earlier post. If you have never done this type of repair before, I would suggest the Loctite contact adhesive rather than the gel super glue since it gives you much more time to apply and will give you virtually the same repair strength.

Note: after the repair with either the gel super glue or contact adhesive - leave the driver for at least 24 hrs to allow a complete curing of the adhesive before you use the driver again.

Last edited:
I successfully repair subwoofer spider with two-component epoxy glue!
no more rattling, only pure bass.

have tested instant adhesive on some old speaker spider for spare parts and result is bad!
''instant adhesives are too hard when dry and usually breaks.''

for me epoxy did great job!

thanks guys.

Last edited:
Unless I got a bad batch, the only thing I didnt like about the BSi rubber toughened CA glue is that it solidifies inside the bottle very quickly and is a pain to squeeze out. The black CA glue I got from FixMySpeaker is still fluid even with only 1oz left in an 8oz bottle kept outdoors for a year. Very good stuff.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.