4x15 tapped horn ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
here's a slightly bigger TH. Good for those D-n-B 32hz notes....

Attachments

• 1ohm-2.5k.JPG
    1ohm-2.5k.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 286
Okay so xmax is wayy higher then 16mm and sensitivity is not 89db 1w/1m. but it is still a beast of a sub. I hope you don't plan on moving these around much....with all the bracing necessary for this subwoofer it is going to weigh a TON!! I would use double 3/4" Baltic Birch for whatever horn you decide to build, with very heavy duty bracing.

Also, without cabin gain don't expect these things to do anywhere near 180db....

but then that brings up the question..what do you even need something of this magnitude for inside a home? Pictures will be falling off walls and shelves etc etc.

Also something to think about, I don't know what kind of amp you will be using to power these, but expect to run it off of more than one breaker, or a 220V line. And expect to pay a pretty penny for clean 10,000 watts of power. A good amp such as the crown Macro tech 5000v2 is what....5000RMS at 4 ohms bridged, and runs about $3k USD.

Also, again, a horn for this sub is going to be a beast. 4 of them, well, they're going to take up a ton of space. what is your listening space? Dedicated HT/music room??

Last edited:
4X 15" driver, and large is OK?

Something like this, perhaps?

4X15.jpg

That is a full 8 feet tall, and 5 feet wide at the mouth. Could be stood up against a wall.

With a decent car audio 15 (have not modeled your drivers in this cabinet), it makes 100 dB with a watt to the cabinet above 25 Hz. Depending on the drivers selected, the cabinet should take in excess of 2000 watts, perhaps as much as 4000.

4X15%252520SPL.JPG

Should break stuff. This one hit 140 dB in Kicker's listening room during initial testing. That was with 2700 watts applied, just over 1/2 power.

I was always convinced that a speaker system was about 1% sound and 99% heat loss.
Now I see figures of 40% efficiency on a frequency as low as 32hz!
post #21
How does this work, jbell?

Hi Bart,

I'm not jbell, but perhaps this might help...

In general terms, the sound radiation efficiency of a direct radiator loudspeaker system is usually only a few percent, whereas the sound radiation efficiency of a horn loudspeaker system is typically between 10 and 50 percent, due to the higher air loading on the driver diaphragm.

The attached screenprint shows the efficiency of the Hornresp default horn loudspeaker system - the maximum efficiency in this case is about 48 percent.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Efficiency.png
    Efficiency.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 256
Hi Bart,

Does this translate into a huge reduction in power demands?

It can result in a significant reduction, yes.

If the driver took 1W to produce 88dB, how much power would it take for 88dB in a 40% efficient TH?

Try experimenting in Hornresp to answer your own question - it is the best way to learn about such things :).

One point to note is that the sound radiation efficiency of a tapped horn loudspeaker system can vary greatly across the passband. The first attached screenprint shows the efficiency of a typical tapped horn loudspeaker. The second screenprint shows the SPL response of the same loudspeaker.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Efficiency1.png
    Efficiency1.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 243
  • Response.png
    Response.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 232
Thank you very much for that, since I didn't learn how to use Hornresp. :eek:
I didn't expect such a drastic reduction.
I do find it strange that with an efficiency jumping up and down in the frequency band, that the spl output is quite flat.
Hi Bart,

I couldn't resist calculating the answer for myself :).

A 40% efficient loudspeaker system radiating into 4 x Pi free space would require an electrical input power of 19.13 milliwatts to produce an SPL of 88dB at 1 metre.

Kind regards,

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.