Concrete IB subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Didn't find many IB builds around here, so I thought some might find this project interesting or least funny. It's based to two Fi IB318 drivers in 7.3 m3 sealed concrete enclosure, it's about ten times elements vas so I call it IB. Here's few shot during project.

chipping_352.jpg

ceiling_removed_159.jpg

sawing_325.jpg

empty_cellar_187.jpg

roughcasted_wallsandpillars_175.jpg

concrete_reinforcement_579.jpg

sub_element_mold_113.jpg

concrete_mixing_plant_985.jpg

new_floor_106.jpg

element_embedding_195.jpg

driver1_195.jpg

driver2_933.jpg

Now I have tested it and it seem to work as expected. Next I will build theater room over my subwoofer enclosure.

Here's my sort of build thread with more info and pictures.

Hi there: Fabulous project! Hope you provide more details as the construction moves along. What is the black square surounding the driver (shown in the top side photo)? Are the drivers resting on rubber pads and then supported by the channel clips? I suppose the large boxout in the floor is for access to the drivers in the enclosure(?), what type of cover will be used in this opening? Will any lining be used in the enclosure? Is the enclosure moisture proofed for protection of the drivers? What crossover frequency will be used for the subs? ...regards, Michael

What is the black square surounding the driver (shown in the top side photo)?
Element embeddings are coated using polyester resin to prevent crumbling particles from concrete embeddings to go jumping over elements. I dyed second layer black just to test how it will work and embedding might look bit better when element grilles are removed.

Polyester also prevent moisture coming to heated theater from cold cellar. Other areas of that concrete floor will be insulated.

Are the drivers resting on rubber pads and then supported by the channel clips?
Those elements have c-profil shaped rubber surrounding ring for sealing.

fiib318_765.jpg

So I pressed elements to concrete empeddings "as is" using diy clamps.

I suppose the large boxout in the floor is for access to the drivers in the enclosure (?), what type of cover will be used in this opening?

Yes it will be cellar hatch to access elements, beer and potatos.

It already have weather strip sealed inner door made of film coated 3/4" plywood. There will be other one at floating floor level.

Will any lining be used in the enclosure? Is the enclosure moisture proofed for protection of the drivers? What crossover frequency will be used for the subs? ...regards, Michael
In theory it shouldn't need any lining inside, since it will be crossed at 80Hz (4.3m wave lenght) and modes shouldn't fit inside enclosure to cause problems. I'm not sure yet if this is true in practice. Have to make some measurements.

Cellar is pretty dry even it's been raining very much lately. Sure it have higher moisture than heated room, but surfaces are dry. It also have air ducts for venting. Elements are sort of moisture protected because those are made for car use, so I'm not very concerned about this.

In theory it shouldn't need any lining inside, since it will be crossed at 80Hz (4.3m wave lenght) and modes shouldn't fit inside enclosure to cause problems. I'm not sure yet if this is true in practice. Have to make some measurements.

I wasn't thinking this one proberly, there actually can be modal problems below 80Hz inside my enclosure.

2.6 m width and 2.7 lenght will have first resonances around 60Hz and those need to be killed somehow.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.