Rear-Loaded Horns ("Scoops") Impedance response

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a quickie - what does the impedance response of a well-designed rear-loaded bass horn really look like? I've seen some theoretical response curves online that look like the classic multiple dip and peak response I expect, but then yesterday I measured the impedance response of one actually in use in a club here (one that the club's quite happy with, btw) and looks like what you'd expect from a classic simple vented alignment...

And why I call scoop bins BVRs [big vent reflexes].......... A proper BLH will have the three impedance peaks of a band-pass.

GM

Which leads to the question - if these things have the impedance response of a simple vented alignment, this suggest that their response is likely that of a simple vented alignment, so is there any reason to use them instead of a simple vented alignment?

Not really, yes, being a ~1/8 horn segment they have about a 1/2 - 1 octave of up to 6 dB gain to provide a lot of mid-bass 'slam' like a properly aligned Karlson K15 and with a similar roll off to a 40-50 Hz Fp. Hardly HIFI, but fine for small bands, etc..

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.