Adequate Crossover frequency of Peerless 835017? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2011, 01:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Post Adequate Crossover frequency of Peerless 835017?

I know this driver is categorized as a “subwoofer”. The typical subwoofer is operated below 120 Hz. However, the frequency response diagram of peerless 835017 shows that it could be flat to about 1 KHz, as attached.

Could I set its low-pass crossover frequency up to 1Khz?

Thanks a lot for your kindly comment and suggestion?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peerless 835017 frequency response.jpg (166.5 KB, 181 views)
Old 29th September 2011, 01:58 AM   #2
bbggg is offline bbggg  United States
diyAudio Member

No. There is beaming up there, and you had better stay well clear of that horrid bell mode at 3 kHz. I'd say at least two octaves away with an LR4, and take a good look for detailed harmonic distortion charts, as that bell may be upset by sneaky fundamentals further down. Nah, three octaves down is probably best.
Done your way, the only reasonable use would be in a two-way with a compression driver and horn for the upper spectrum. There may be a severe sensitivity mismatch to be dealt with, and particular care should be lavished upon polar response uniformity.
In a direct radiator 3-way it would be rather outlandish to cross a 12"er that high, when there should be a perfectly suitable driver for mid duty.
Old 29th September 2011, 03:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

right in the centre of the FLAT area is where most beginners are advised to start designing XOs, 300 to 500 should be perfectly OK

But WTH if you use Electronic crossovers you can experiment to your hearts content, 4th order at 1k may be OK
Old 29th September 2011, 11:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Huang View Post
Could I set its low-pass crossover frequency up to 1Khz?
It's not advisable. You can see from the plot that the cone breakup starts at 1K. I would cross 1-2 octaves away, ie 500Hz to 250Hz.

Any reason why you need to cross at 1KHz?
Old 30th September 2011, 01:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot for all your helpful advice.

I want to make some experiments to explore the 835017's whole potential performance and find possible best crossover frequency to match some my Horn speakers. It maybe a tough job.

I may design 4th order active lowpass/highpass filters with variable frequency settings. Possibly 12 values of 1/3 Octave Band Frequencies are 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 315, 400, 500, 630, and 800Hz.
Old 1st October 2011, 12:49 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I find that "Subwoofers" work best below 50Hz. When I try to make them do Mid-Bass (100Hz region), they fall flat. Don't have the attack and definition that I expect.

My solution is to treat mid-bass separately from sub bass. Use one woofer for mid-bass and if needed, a separate one for sub.

I am also looking for a woofer to go with my horns, the JBL 2342 Bi-Radials. This 10" by Seas ( CA26RE4X ) looks promising. It will allow me to cross at 1K to 1K5.
Old 2nd October 2011, 01:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Michael. I highly appreciate your suggestion of JBL 2342.

I have already completed a pair of sealed cabinets for the 835017 with Qtc=0.7.
I just test them alone by a heavy drum program. The sound is quite fantastic.
The subwoofer controller is still under construction.
Please forgive my crazy idea.
The synergy of subwoofer and main horn speaker to a high crossover frequency should be quite difficult.
I may report the test latter.

Cheers!
Old 2nd October 2011, 05:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I find that "Subwoofers" work best below 50Hz.
i am experiencing the same.
i use a 12xxls subwoofer combined to a two vay speaker.
(6.5" mid and 2"tweeter)
I run an active system.
it sounds good when crossover is set very low .
When sliding up the crossover point the sound is getting thick.
After struggling i found this:
The sub level being set for good bass when the crossover point at 60hz.
When the crossover point is set at 300hz the output level around this frequency is way too low compared to the output level of the two way speaker at the same frequency range.
So i have to rise the low band level out of my active crossover.
To recover the level of low freq. bass i want, i need to equalize down the low end. (slope from 300 to 60 ending at -6db at 60hz)
the result is tight bass slam.

i conclude that a too far a flat response towards the low end, combined with room gain, gives muddy( boomy) bass response.
Old 2nd October 2011, 06:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

edit:
read 30hz instead of 60

nevertheless i am contemplating to use a plain woofer.
I was thinking about ca26 rfx.
Could you comment your choice CA26re4x?

Last edited by bobodioulasso; 2nd October 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 3rd October 2011, 01:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I would like to explain further.

I have already designed a low pass filter system crossovered by 1/3 octave bands at 30, 39, 44, 50, 56, 63, 70, 79, 88, 99, 111, and 125Hz, totally 12 bands, adjusting by rotary switches. This low pass system also has the feature of LR transformer, equalizer and all pass filter, etc. In such condition, I treat the peerless 835017 as a typical subwoofer.

However, I found that the driver's frequency response could be flat to about 1K Hz. So I maybe able to explore its possible potential performance to be as a woofer. I have already made two cabinets. So I would design a extra low-pass/high-pass filter system with crossover frequency setting adjustably at 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 315, 400, 500, 630, 800 and 1KHz. The low-pass part of the system is used to control the 835017, while the high-pass filter is used to controll the main speaker. Without the high pass filter for the main speaker, the bass will be too thick, as bobodiolasso worried. Since the sound beyond about 100Hz is quite directional, this system should be stereo, or 2 channels. The low-pass/high-pass filters is designed to be 4th order slope. This is my idea to explore the driver's performance. Because I am just getting into the field of subwoofer, I maybe quite wrong or studpid.

Thanks again for all your helpful comments or suggestion.

Regards,

Hide this!Advertise here!