Re-foaming Dynaudio 21W54

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
trphoto

Have had the same problem.
Try Speakerbits in Melbourne, Australia for repair kit, which includes original foam surrounds, shim material, glue and clear instructions.
It's relatively easy to do, hardest part of the job is getting the remains of the old foam and glue off the cone and chassis. I used cotton buds and lighter fluid which works well but takes time.
I am no engineer, but found no problems doing it myself!

I am having a set of 21W54 drivers done right now as a matter of fact! the ONLY shop i know of that can do Dynaudio woofers correctly is Bill Watkins! Professional AND affordable speaker repair and refoam by Watkins Engineering

almost all speaker repair shops cut the dustcap off a woofer to place shims around the voice coil to center it on the pole piece.

Bill has a proprietary electrical method of centering the voice coil without having to cut the dustcap off and Dynaudio woofers do not have a dustcap! he is the only person i know that has a process like this!

Dynaudio no longer sells drivers to the public and they do not refom woofers. I just asked them the same question about 3 weeks ago!

Bill will Do Dynaudio woofers but you will need to buy your own foam kits. Orange county speakers has the kits for $50 per pair. they claim they are the technically correct foam kits imported from Germany. Bill charges about $95 per pair plus shipping. so you are looking at about $300 to have them done correctly!

Zc

I had my speakers re-foamed by Bill Watkins. It was not cheap and the labor + suspensions for all 4 Dynaudio speakers amounted to close to $500.00.

However, the result is fantastic and the basses have never been so good on my system: very sharp, precise and full of impact.

Expensive but worth it. I also rewired the wires inside the Puppies.

Yves

Yes I did, and got them form Orange County speakers (as indicated above in the thread). The reason why Bill Watkins charges so much per speaker, is because it is very labor intensive and he has to work below the speaker frame/armature. The suspension are glued behind the cone, not on top of it. He offered to glue them on top which would have saved a lot of money, but I declined and wanted them to be like the original.

It is still a minute amount compared to what Dave Wilson would have charged to fix the speakers.... :)

Yves

Last edited:
The secret of reconing without shims is to drive the speaker with low frequency sine wave, while doing it. You will hear rubbing, when cone is misaligned and it will try to self centre at the same time. Sorry if I'm using wrong words to describe it. Cheers

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.