The most boring subwoofer ever posted!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A local charity which provides reading services for the blind had their annual sale of donated audio equipment recently. This year I scored a used pair of Pioneer W25GR31-51F. They're 10" paper cones with a butyl surround, a stamped steel frame and a generously-sized magnet. I have absolutely no use for a pair of 10" woofers, but it's for charity, and I hate to see a nice set of drivers go to waste. It's also a great opportunity to get rid of scrap lumber which I think actually multiplies in my garage.

Pioneer's data sheet says they need a sealed ~1.2ft^3 enclosure to get a Qtc of 0.707. After taking my own impedance measurements, SpeakerWorkshop said they needed just over 2ft^3. SW also modeled an amazing low-frequency response in a Chebychev alignment in a ~6ft^3 enclosure. No thanks. I'm not that motivated.

The enclosures are a mix of MDF, particleboard, and oak ply - all 3/4". Bracing is done with 12 1/2"X1/2" sticks seen in the first photo. Vb is 2ft^3 with 1lb of AcoustaStuff. Woofer is facing downward to avoid any rocking back-and-forth motion, and legs should be tall enough to avoid slot-loading. They are finished with an attractive vinyl veneer except for the top, which is oak ply.

My measurement showed I got the response I expected. I think the gradual roll-off makes these subs ideal for an amp with bass boost.

All-in-all a successful weekend project. I had to buy drivers, one 2' X 4' sheet of MDF, 24' of 1/2" X 1/2" pine, 7 Tee nuts, 2 boxes of wood screws and 2 pairs of binding posts. I got rid of all but the smallest scraps of wood and my ugly . . . -er . . . attractive vinyl veneer and all my leftover AcoustaStuff!

I traded them for a pair of speakers with some nice X-over components and a pair of woofers I really want.

Attachments

• Pioneer sub unfinished.JPG
    Pioneer sub unfinished.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Pioneer subs finished.JPG
    Pioneer subs finished.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 228
  • Pioneer sub calculate & measured.jpg
    Pioneer sub calculate & measured.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 230
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.