Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2011, 10:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sealed Box dual pull push design and SQ

Hi every one, seems to be an old topic but going through subwoofer driver reveiws at caraudio magazaine i realized how much even the best woofers varies in BL by cone excursion poisition and direction. Well dual pull puch at least in theory would smooth out BL response in both directions.
I intend to make 2 dual pull push subwoofers running parallel with B&W 802 crossed over at 80 Hz with either JL audio 12w7 or 13W7s. The JL route in commercial in F212 and G212 are both speakers forward.
Would the increased SQ comes at the cost of SPL?
*Does the pull push configuration (magnets face to face) good at frequencies upto 80 Hz , or should it bee limited to extremely low frequencies like 40 Hz.
Would the box size double or half ?
Old 26th September 2011, 10:32 PM   #2
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

driver alignment in a sealed box does not change SPL or in most cases even change SQ. If the box is built properly it does not really matter if they are push/pull or not. Push/pull is great way of removing any mechanical noise issues from the box design but its not an automatic improvement over well designed boxes.
Old 26th September 2011, 11:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

lol, there are graphs by wayne parnham, the guy that makes the Pi speakers. He has a small horn loaded sub (mouth way too small), you can easily see the reduction in harmonic distortion in his comparison of non push pull vs push pull.

I've said it b4, you can run the boxes sealed, ported, passive radiator, ebs, boosted 6th, bandpass, TL, etc. Push pull helps it sound better, especially for cheaper drivers (no shorting rings, etc) and as you really crank the volume.

Norman
Old 26th September 2011, 11:20 PM   #4
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

As I said before it depends on the design choice. I can show you incredible distortion measurements from Dual 18" sealed designs from JBL, etc.

What does it all mean?? There is a large subjective circle jerk going on when it comes to a lot of distortion discussions.

Conclusion, who cares what they look like if they are not audible. Just ask DTS-10 owners about that box. Have you seen the distortion numbers past 50Hz??? or most horns outside of their 2 octave performance range.

Splitting hairs discussions seem to loose sight that it still takes quality drivers/proper designs to get the best SQ no matter if its Push/pull or not.

help its sound better? Do you have controlled testing proof behind that? Im not agains the design at all but I think the differences sometimes are overblown.

Last edited by doug20; 26th September 2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 27th September 2011, 01:24 AM   #5
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"help its sound better? Do you have controlled testing proof behind that? Im not agains the design at all but I think the differences sometimes are overblown. "

Well spoken for someone that has never heard one!

"Just ask DTS-10 owners about that box. "

The one with PP 12s?

Hide this!Advertise here!