need help reaching 140db in my house!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
+1,

It seems like a bunch of boring old retired people warning the young guy to stay away from drugs/acohol and women...Yawn!!!

Either people have a design that can help the OP or they should worry about their own sorry little world more (some need to!!).

-or-

Just pass the geritol so we can all have the same buzz kill :D

Maybe the true problem here is that most here have crap little spaces to deal with, did anyone outside of NeoDan realize that space???? I have a 50x30x12 family room with raise kitchen....We need SPL for parties. Its not my fault your house can fit in my family room or you do not have enough party life in you any more.

Sorry OP, the regulars here are 70+ years old and live in shoe boxes ;)

Dude I'm 32, you guys sound like idiots.

You sound like a 16 year old with factory speakers in his car and a crap overrated sub rattling his license plate.

Want my advice, put a bigger wing on it and add some neon, then gay VinDiesel will come to your dance party.

I was more offended by how some are treating the older crowd, I agree you should do what you like. Have at 'er. AL

Your skydiving analogy does not work because it is proven it works time and time again. Millions have done it.

Now if your parachute had holes in it, or your too fat for it....then maybe heed the warnings.

Last edited:
I wanted 125dB at 20Hz in my house

Built a sub that hit around 115 to 120dB at 20 Hz as large picture window was flexing and rattled in the frame, the HVAC vent started to rattle, the doors in the house where hammering away and even the garage door joined in. Calculated that was the structural limit in my living room as I don't want a giant piece of glass coming down and cutting my head off. The curtains get closed for movie night just in case.

Moved my project out to the detached second garage. Metal walled building with plywood inner walls, two small windows, concrete floor and plenty of space. It's just sound, so I scaled it back to THX IMAX levels at the seated position or 110dB highs and 121dB at 18Hz for the low end.

I'm an "old man" in my 40's with great hearing since I took care of them in my 20's/30's running huge PA systems. I do enjoy watching 20 somethings walking right up to my vertical line arrays to "rock out" and seeing the puzzled look on their faces when they do--as you get closer to an array the woofers/tweeters go off-axis so it does not get much louder-- The slight increase in SPL when right up on them does not make up for the bass shift--they step back around 2 to 4 meters and it sounds "right"... The "anti-idiot vertical line array" works very well for that function.

Personally, I could care less if you smoke your hearing--want to borrow a boat air horn and put it up to your ear? Go deaf...win a prize. The issue is deep bass will break things in a structure--the ceiling can and will collapse which is a bad thing when others are in your room. I fully support everyone's right to blow their hearing or injure/die from structural failure from infrasonic bass frequencies--only if it is you! Once the stupidity level then starts to effect other's well being...that is the line.

How to identify is someone is stupid? Simple, the larger the room gets at the same sound level--the more likely you'll have structural damage. Smaller rooms are more solid in construction (ask tornadoes) Unless your mommy and daddy own a cathedral or underground bunker--it would be best to respect the building when living in the basement...

I have a LF system that will legitimately do 130dB @ 16Hz in the middle of a 10K room and I'm not sure what above there. Let's say it's a lot. I have driven it pretty loud with the bass ridiculous hot a couple of times just for fun. Demoing for friends, etc. (Jurassic Lunch anyone?) Nobody in their right mind would listen near that loud for more than a demo here and there. It's just uncomfortable loud, at least for me. Yes the building structure was making complaints during the real deep bass but it wasn't in danger of crumbling with a few blasts here and there.

What level do I usually listen to this system at? I don't know, the peaks are maybe 110dB. Just because someone wants an insane amount of headroom does not mean that it is going to be used very often. Maybe they are like me? I just like to know that the system has plenty of headroom left in the tank for ANY material I will throw at it and that it is operating at <25% most of the time = Low distortion, low compression, effortless dynamics reproduction. I don't have to wonder. Plus it is fun to blow the cobwebs out of the rafters every once in a while.

That's my 2 cents and perspective on wanting massive headroom.

Last edited:
Ok so I built another box and it starts getting crazy over 130db and especially over 120 around 30hz . I got light bulbs popping from the vibration, silverware jumping around in it's cabinet light fixtures rattling, fireplace sounds like a tin can, I am getting nauseous from the lower frequency .. Just plain ridiculous but I love it thanks for all the help but low 130's is plenty for this guy

Cool !!! :)

jer :)

thanks josh totally agreed.. listening at 130db levels makes a person sick literally but it is fun to crank it up for a song or so just to laugh at the louder than any club you have ever been in type of experience.. Plus yes all the friends go wild just listening to it.. I also usually go about 105-115db depending on my mood for the day.

Hi Justin, I dont know if you are serious, but i take you serious. You want such high SPL in your listening room? Okay lets do it buddy!
At first you have to buy 8 BMS 18N860 18" Drivers, then two Powersoft K8 Amps, a lot of 1 inch better 1.5inch Plywood and then start to build up your personal Earthquake:
Each enclosure need 1000 L BR, tuned to 25 Hz,equipped with 4 of the BMS 18". Wired in pairs parallel to 2.3 Ohm and driven by one Channel of a K8.
With both enclosures driven to maximum you will reach around 140.5 dB at 30 Hz! Did I forget something? Ah yes a good Speakermanagementsystem like a XTA DP 424 or the 426! if you are willing to spend the money and the nessary room then you will reach the 140 dB!
Greets from Germany

Frank

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.