need help reaching 140db in my house!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm hitting 120dB+ @33Hz with my current tapped pipe with PD12SB30 about 100L corner loaded. Haven't done the measurements yet but the sims say 127dB while remaining linear. But this kind of SPL causes so much rattling in a typical domestic environment I question the point ;)

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Justin:

Just out of curiosity, can you give us the volume and tuning, if any, of your present enclosures which house your 3015s? Seems you want pretty much what you have now except for 11 dB louder, would just like to evaluate what exactly it is that you have now.

Since I don't know how experienced a speaker builder you are, if you don't know the tuning just give us the outside dimensions of the box, the diameter of the port, (if any), and the length of the port.

If you have a flared port, just give us the diameter of the pipe.

I just want to chime in as I have plans in the works for a similarly high output bass array. In my testing I have run into issues with things like drywall seams cracking and buzzing noises. You don't have to be but in the mid 120dB range before these issues start popping up.

Having high SPL capability is very neat outdoors though, feeling the sound make the ground move under your feet will put a big smile on your face :D

Last edited:
One thing is for sure. To reach such insane goal......140dB means :
1. You need very sensitive speaker system, horn loaded.....or a lot of speakers.....
2. You need a lot of power if you have more ,,lazy,, system
3. In most cases you will need both of them
And here comes a problem. I don't know how is in USA but here in Europe domestic outlets start to drop at some 3KW of power....and that limits everything. Whene we work with our PA at locations with domestic mains I must tell you that the whole building flickers when bass hit.....and only with one powerfull amp for subs....so you will need 3 phase power....more than one amp....a lot of space ......and it will look funny....
What about some RR Merlin from Spitfire....

Just apply for an industrial connection, around 50 KW, but be ready to give (if like in France) a fix fee of around 1000 $ a month, on witch you add your monthly consumption, plus a little extra for installing the cables.
An other option is a generator, to be safe, a 100 Hp engine, six cylinder 4 liter diesel, can find some with less than 20.000 hours running in the second hand market. Probably around 10000$. As this is a noisy thing, you will finally appreciate your 140 dB.

Just apply for an industrial connection, around 50 KW, but be ready to give (if like in France) a fix fee of around 1000 $ a month, on witch you add your monthly consumption, plus a little extra for installing the cables.
An other option is a generator, to be safe, a 100 Hp engine, six cylinder 4 liter diesel, can find some with less than 20.000 hours running in the second hand market. Probably around 10000$. As this is a noisy thing, you will finally appreciate your 140 dB.
no need for that.
he can do this with his qsc rmx amp witch is rated 2400watts @4 ohm bridged.
like i sugested before 1 th of ~550-600 ltr,loaded with 1* 18 sound 21nlw 9000c wil get you there.(no compression calculated)
140db.jpg

Last edited:
UK 3phase domestic supply.

If the mains cable coming to the house is 3phase then, in the UK, the home owner simply asks for a 3phase meter.
If the cable link from the 3phase in the road is only single phase, then one asks for a 3phase meter and pays to replace the single phase link with a 3phase link.
My last three homes have all been 3phase.

100A 240Vac single phase supply has a 24kW capability.
80A 240Vac 3phase supply has >50kW capability.

Last edited:
i seriously want to get as close to 140+ db as possible.. i listen often with my current levels where its normally 120-125db around the house and its just not enough bass.. I am pretty much tapped on power with my current setup just from a wiring setup though as my circuit breaker would trip if I added more power.. so realistically it has to be as close as I can get to 140+ with just using my QSC2450..

I'm not trying to be a brat but you SERIOUSLY need to get your hearing checked before you lose the rest of it. 120+ dB is NOT a normal level and 140 is just plain insane.

You might take up reading as it's a LOT easier on the ears.

But, if you insist on LOW bass, check this out. Response to DC !

Eminent Technology: home

What type of box, EPA?

no need for that.
he can do this with his qsc rmx amp witch is rated 2400watts @4 ohm bridged.
like i sugested before 1 th of ~550-600 ltr,loaded with 1* 18 sound 21nlw 9000c wil get you there.(no compression calculated)
140db.jpg

Just wondering, you know, for sh*ts and giggles as I am informed they say in the USA...
Is this a reflex design, or a tapped horn?

As I am switching to SS15 from the stadium horns, I'm goiong to have a spare pair of hugely solid and well braced 600 Liter cabinets... If I could sneak a 21" driver past my wife's eagle eyes on our accounts, one day I could bring them back to life for the crazier events. Even if a single driver costs me six times what the 3015lf did!

On which topic, why the 9000, and not the slightly pricier 9600 which is 1 dB more efficient?

Regards, Ben

Just wondering, you know, for sh*ts and giggles as I am informed they say in the USA...
Is this a reflex design, or a tapped horn?

As I am switching to SS15 from the stadium horns, I'm goiong to have a spare pair of hugely solid and well braced 600 Liter cabinets... If I could sneak a 21" driver past my wife's eagle eyes on our accounts, one day I could bring them back to life for the crazier events. Even if a single driver costs me six times what the 3015lf did!

On which topic, why the 9000, and not the slightly pricier 9600 which is 1 dB more efficient?

Regards, Ben
hi ben
fyi its a tapped horn.
hr says 362 ltrs ,so you probably end up with 550 or so.
in my memory the 9000c(carbon) sim's better in a th then the 9600.it needs less compression @ the throat.
edit/i updated the pic.
the grey line being the 9600.
note this is 1 pi since he uses it indoors.
also sensivety is usually measured from 100 til 500 hz ,so useles for subs

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.