Measuring speaker with mic - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2011, 05:37 PM   #1
johnr66 is offline johnr66  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Measuring speaker with mic

I took an 8 ohm speaker (in cab) and measured the voltage from a mic & op amp circuit @1m. Now, I placed a second identical speaker next to the first and connected it in parallel so the amp is outputting double the power (4 ohm total load). The output from the measuring circuit has nearly doubled in voltage.

With two speakers, the sound pressure level has doubled which means +6db over the single 8ohm speaker. 2x of the voltage reading would seem to indicate a +3db increase. To my ears, there was a significant increase in sound. Okay, so what am I missing?
Old 24th September 2011, 06:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Your thinking of dB in power terms your result does show a 6dB level increase. formula for voltage gain is 20*log10(vout/vin) therefore your doubling in voltage level is +6dB. This is because your microphone doesn't measure power but the amplitude of the sound pressure.

Decibel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 25th September 2011, 12:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

John,
You're seeing a textbook increase. 3db due to double the cone area - an efficiency increase. 3db due to twice the power.

Hide this!Advertise here!