DIY to rival a Submersive HP? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2011, 12:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY to rival a Submersive HP?

I am new to the HT DIY world but have done a few car setups over the years. Looking to build or buy a sub, not sure which road I want to head down. The DIY fun factor is a draw, but I am probably trying to building something with output and SQ on the lines (from the reviews I've read) of a Submersive HP. I was thinking a compound sealed PPSL setup with 2 TC Sounds LMS-R 15's. In a proper box, are these things going to be musical as well? I have a pretty flexible budget. I doubt I could achieve anywhere near the finish of the Submersive, maybe I could get close on the performance. Or am I better off to get ahold of Mark?
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A little more info, I have a dedicated 20A circuit to use for the amp, probably trying to keep the footprint on the dual 15" side so that I can fit it behind my screen in the corner. The room is about 4000 ft^3, so won't be much room gain. Use will be 50/50 music/HT...
Old 26th September 2011, 01:40 AM   #3
taloyd is offline taloyd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default AE Speakers

I would also check out Acoustic Elegance (AE Speakers). The AV series drivers are definitely at the same level as the LMS-R series, and the AV-H series model well in a very reasonably sized box. PPSL will drastically reduce the distortion which is already low.

cheers,
-Tal
Old 26th September 2011, 10:29 PM   #4
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Is your budget as high as the cost of the Submersive?

If it is then why not step up to the LMS5400 18" woofers? Being that you are in Canada, maybe you can wait a bit for the new Mach 5 18" woofers. The specs look pretty incredible. You could move away from the compound sealed PPSL setup idea and just go dual sealed 18" design.

FWIW, AV series drivers are awesome (I Have 4 of them) but AEspeakers.com still does not have an ETA for new orders.
Old 27th September 2011, 12:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I could stretch the budget a bit and do dual LMS 5400's, there is some flexibility. It would be nice to get 2 15's into a seal box from a footprint point of view, but I guess I can move (or lose) some furniture! I can't help but think that I might go through a huge amount of time and effort fabricating a sub, and then not build a product that sounds as good or loud as a Submersive HP...
Old 27th September 2011, 01:54 PM   #6
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

There isnt a design out there that matches the LMS5400 but it only matters if its in your budget range.

Mark Seaton builds incredible subs and speakers but even he understands that DIY has less restrictions and is able to get the same performance for less $$$.

Even a Single LMS5400 18" sealed design is a top performance design. Its a 4cuft design too. Since you are in Canada you should research FunkyWaves. Nathan builds quality designs out in Western Canada. He uses the LMS5400 in one of his designs.

Two LMS 15" drivers in a similar alignment Seaton has will work too.

Hide this!Advertise here!