is this a good frequency response? (winisd) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2011, 09:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default is this a good frequency response? (winisd)

basically im designing a box for my peerless 830515 12inch xls subwoofer. ive played around with it for a few days and have come up with a 105ltr box. 4inch dia x 18long port tuned to almost 20hz. mdf thickness 3/4inch. ive attached some pics and just want to know if the response i have is good or could be improved. my desired 'frequencies' is from 20hz to 120hz. just to take note this subwoofer is for "HOME USE". ok i think ive given enough info. if you need anymore just reply to my post. hopefully im on the right track. anyways... CHEERS.
Attached Images
File Type: png response.png (28.3 KB, 285 views)
File Type: png volume and tun freq.png (8.6 KB, 266 views)
File Type: png port size.png (9.4 KB, 258 views)
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:15 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I avoid bumps like you have on the bottom*. Too low a tuning or too big a box IMHO.

* i avoid roll-offs in the bass where the 1st derivative of the curve passes thru zero more than once.

dave
Old 22nd September 2011, 04:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

so basically by 'bump' you mean the red circle in the picture attached? if so would you be able to point me in the right direction?
Attached Images
File Type: png response.png (24.4 KB, 242 views)
Old 22nd September 2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Looks to me like your box is way too big for that woofer. Look at that drop from 100Hz.
Old 22nd September 2011, 06:24 PM   #5
johnr66 is offline johnr66  United States
diyAudio Member

That "shelving" effect you see is because of too low tuning. Try a smaller enclosure or shorter port. The shelf is not bad if you can keep it no more than 3db down which still means higher tuning.

What is the intended purpose of the sub? If mainly for music, it is pointless to tune it so low. A mid 30s tuning is much better. Also check how it works sealed. If the F6 point looks decent, sealed may be the way to go.
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I happen to think that the alignment shown would be rather good. Remember that room gain will help to bring the lower frequencies in line - a 6dB descrepancy from 20Hz to 80Hz isn't so bad, but I certainly wouldn't use such a system outdoors.

A smaller cabinet tuned higher up will give a flatter simulated response, but it'd be difficult to predict how it would perform in a given room - a large test box would allow you to change the volume and port tunings until you find something you like, at the expense of building 2 cabinets instead of 1.

Chris
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Interesting driver. Quite unusual parameters for a car sub. You should be able to do much better.

"Optimal" ported v.s. sealed...

Click the image to open in full size.

EBS v.s. sealed...

Click the image to open in full size.

Seams like any of these should provide decent performance. I would be inclined to go with the EBS tuning but you could go sealed with EQ. Given decent Xmax either should be OK. Probably need to be careful with heavy organ though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SealedAndOptPort.jpg (54.7 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg SealedEBS.jpg (55.9 KB, 248 views)
Old 24th September 2011, 07:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

so what shall i do guys? keep the build the box as i said and tune it higher to get a flatter response? or change the box completely? or would someone please download winisd and build a box if this driver were urs. also this sub will be 70% movies 30% music.
Old 24th September 2011, 11:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Why don't you try 55 liters tuned to 30Hz? Or you could put two drivers in your 105 liter box
Old 25th September 2011, 01:08 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I just came up with about the same as mashaffer 56l tuned to 28hz is about as low as that driver will go. It's a car driver...

Hide this!Advertise here!