Musical Subwoofer.... ported or sealed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all :) Beating a dead horse here I'm sure :xfingers:

I have a Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF Driver I'm building a box for. This driver is considered best suited for a vented box but I want to go sealed because I already have a ported (actually, passive radiated) HT Sub that is great. However, I cant stand it for music so I'm looking to build a very musical sub. Here are the different responses from ported and sealed according to BassBox. The box will be 2.5cu and I tuned the port to 30hz.

Which would you go with strictly for music playback?

Orange=Ported
Red=Sealed
norm.jpg

Thanks!

none of those would be any good.
try :
53 liters, and tune to 25 hz.
should be more or less flat.
that is what you need.

a cabinet like that is notorious for requiring LONG port.
to clarify, the port may not need to be inside the box, most probably you should let it stick out of it.
That would be the good solution.

I personally always find my sealed subs more musical, but I think that's because they are so much easier to get right that a ported design.
Depending on your room, try fitting your port on the side (length permitting), I have found I can then fire it down/up/sideways for tuning.

Best of luck

Dean

I personally always find my sealed subs more musical, but I think that's because they are so much easier to get right that a ported design.
Depending on your room, try fitting your port on the side (length permitting), I have found I can then fire it down/up/sideways for tuning.

Best of luck

Dean

I have heard both and agree that the sealed sounds more musical. I made a sealed box last month for another driver and I thought it sounded great but it was missing over an octave. Is there a way I get my sealed specs looking closer to the ported? The HO (high output) version of this sub can go in a smaller sealed box with better results I'm told but I got this at a super deal. I don't want a ground pounder, I already have one of those. I want this to be really really really musical... the best I can make of it.

Thanks all for the input :)

I don't know specifically about that amp, but the eq should allow you to compensate for the roll off. I find speakers for music to have an F3 in the mid 30Hz range to be more than adequate unless you listen to music with a lot of sub 30Hz content which is rare.

I am specifically building this to accompany my near-field monitors in my studio. I do have hip-hip and R&B clients, they are the only ones other than a 5-7.1 mix where I would need sub 30hz strong. I have a DefTech Supercube I that goes down to 13hz for that task. 30hz is good enough for this sub.

I will be using the O-Audio Bash amp with the EQ section. Can I achieve this by boosting the lows?

Hmmm...

I'm not familiar with that particular bit of kit, but a LT circuit is a very precise tool, as it matches the driver's roll-off exactly (including any resonant peak before the roll-off), which is often more than can be said for most plate amps.

It's not a particularly difficult bit of circuitry to sort out, and it sounds like it'd drop straight in to the plate amp itself, so I think I'd just go for that.

Some say that setting it for Q=0.5 is best for room integration. I support that setting, merely because it uses less gain (saves power, excursion, etc)

Chris

Hmmm...

I'm not familiar with that particular bit of kit, but a LT circuit is a very precise tool, as it matches the driver's roll-off exactly (including any resonant peak before the roll-off), which is often more than can be said for most plate amps.

It's not a particularly difficult bit of circuitry to sort out, and it sounds like it'd drop straight in to the plate amp itself, so I think I'd just go for that.

Some say that setting it for Q=0.5 is best for room integration. I support that setting, merely because it uses less gain (saves power, excursion, etc)

Chris

Well if I can figure out how to do it I'll look into it. I'm not to good with mods... heh.
Here's the amp O Audio - 500W BASH Subwoofer Amplifier

Hey all :) Beating a dead horse here I'm sure :xfingers:

I have a Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF Driver I'm building a box for. This driver is considered best suited for a vented box but I want to go sealed because I already have a ported (actually, passive radiated) HT Sub that is great. However, I cant stand it for music so I'm looking to build a very musical sub. Here are the different responses from ported and sealed according to BassBox. The box will be 2.5cu and I tuned the port to 30hz.

Which would you go with strictly for music playback?

Orange=Ported
Red=Sealed
norm.jpg

Thanks!

Try 1 cu ft in a sealed box. The -3dB point is 35Hz. Nice and smooth rolloff. Group delay is less than 8ms too. Maximum output is excursion limited to about 111dB @ 270 watts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.