Musical Subwoofer.... ported or sealed? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2011, 03:19 PM   #41
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsuchpro View Post
Understood..I saw those Xplods at walmart, any good?
Hi,

No.

FYI: Due to the T/S,IMO a 'musical' sub using the Dayton_RSS265HF-4 is when using a lower Qtc and aclosed design(<0.6) but if the driver ever is ported:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dayton_RSS265HF-4_OD-TL.JPG (586.4 KB, 322 views)
Old 4th October 2011, 07:52 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

LOL love the added 'belongs in a car' remark of the XplodClick the image to open in full size.
Old 4th October 2011, 09:09 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post
Hi,

No.

FYI: Due to the T/S,IMO a 'musical' sub using the Dayton_RSS265HF-4 is when using a lower Qtc and aclosed design(<0.6) but if the driver ever is ported:

b
I know this driver is best suited for an ported box. The HO version is good for sealed. I got this driver for $55 on ebay from Parts Express scratch n dent items. It was previously mounted.
I decided to go bigger than the .6 to 1.1
Old 5th October 2011, 03:15 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Here is the Dayton RSS265HO-4 in a 0.5 cu ft vented box tuned to 32 Hz. The input here is 240 watts. Clearly, excursion is exceeded below 20 Hz, so a subsonic filter with a steep cut off is a good idea here. I think PE says that this driver is designed for small boxes and it indeed does seem to perform well in one. Maximum SPL is almost 107 dB at 240 watts input, in the simulator anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dayton RSS265HO-4 ported.JPG (66.9 KB, 271 views)
Old 5th October 2011, 03:28 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
Here is the Dayton RSS265HO-4 in a 0.5 cu ft vented box tuned to 32 Hz. The input here is 240 watts. Clearly, excursion is exceeded below 20 Hz, so a subsonic filter with a steep cut off is a good idea here. I think PE says that this driver is designed for small boxes and it indeed does seem to perform well in one. Maximum SPL is almost 107 dB at 240 watts input, in the simulator anyway.
I'm interested in a strong 40-50hz... Hi-Q basicly. I dont ever want to hear 20hz out of this box.
Old 5th October 2011, 06:46 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsuchpro View Post
I'm interested in a strong 40-50hz... Hi-Q basicly. I dont ever want to hear 20hz out of this box.
I think this combination is a good for a really small system, like the one we have in Sweden in our summer house. I just need to drag all the bits over there... sigh...
Old 5th October 2011, 07:08 PM   #47
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

just stick it into an ~ 1 to 1.5 cuft sealed box. Port tunings need to be very
low for decent transient response and low response is not needed here.
Optionally use an amp with with circa 40Hz bass boost built in.

rgds, sreten.

The vented sims at the start of this thread will sound horrible.
Old 5th October 2011, 07:13 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

A ported speaker has a resonance (albeit, damped). Any input - including cars driving by on the street outside - will stimulate that resonance and so once you have the ported box in your room, you have it's coloration forever.

An EQ bass boost is not a resonance, just a boost on signal present in the music.

The curves in simulation programs never say "this part of the curve is from speaker motion and this part is from resonance."

Eyeballing pretty curves from speaker simulation programs tells you nothing about this.

Ben

Last edited by bentoronto; 5th October 2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 5th October 2011, 07:48 PM   #49
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
A ported speaker has a resonance (albeit, damped). Any input - including cars driving by on the street outside - will stimulate that resonance and so once you have the ported box in your room, you have it's coloration forever.

An EQ bass boost is not a resonance, just a boost on signal present in the music.

The curves in simulation programs never say "this part of the curve is from speaker motion and this part is from resonance."

Eyeballing pretty curves from speaker simulation programs tells you nothing about this.

Ben
Hi, No, No, and No. No. ?. Indeed they don't as its irrelevant. rgds, sreten.
Old 5th October 2011, 08:12 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Question huh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post

Ben
resonance?? To quote one of my favorite movies "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." The Princess Bride

Hide this!Advertise here!