Musical Subwoofer.... ported or sealed? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 03:19 PM   #41
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jacobsmountain
Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsuchpro View Post
Understood..I saw those Xplods at walmart, any good?
Hi,

No.

FYI: Due to the T/S,IMO a 'musical' sub using the Dayton_RSS265HF-4 is when using a lower Qtc and aclosed design(<0.6) but if the driver ever is ported:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dayton_RSS265HF-4_OD-TL.JPG (586.4 KB, 322 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 07:52 PM   #42
diyAudio Member
 
▀art West-VL.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West Vlaanderen
LOL love the added 'belongs in a car' remark of the XplodClick the image to open in full size.
__________________
Break in your loudspeakers at 35% RMS power Right-click'save as...'
Brown noise mono 192kbps(hit "repeat")
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 09:09 PM   #43
diyAudio Member
 
nonsuchpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bowie, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post
Hi,

No.

FYI: Due to the T/S,IMO a 'musical' sub using the Dayton_RSS265HF-4 is when using a lower Qtc and aclosed design(<0.6) but if the driver ever is ported:

b
I know this driver is best suited for an ported box. The HO version is good for sealed. I got this driver for $55 on ebay from Parts Express scratch n dent items. It was previously mounted.
I decided to go bigger than the .6 to 1.1
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 03:15 AM   #44
diyAudio Member
 
dirkwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Virginia
Here is the Dayton RSS265HO-4 in a 0.5 cu ft vented box tuned to 32 Hz. The input here is 240 watts. Clearly, excursion is exceeded below 20 Hz, so a subsonic filter with a steep cut off is a good idea here. I think PE says that this driver is designed for small boxes and it indeed does seem to perform well in one. Maximum SPL is almost 107 dB at 240 watts input, in the simulator anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dayton RSS265HO-4 ported.JPG (66.9 KB, 271 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 03:28 AM   #45
diyAudio Member
 
nonsuchpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bowie, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
Here is the Dayton RSS265HO-4 in a 0.5 cu ft vented box tuned to 32 Hz. The input here is 240 watts. Clearly, excursion is exceeded below 20 Hz, so a subsonic filter with a steep cut off is a good idea here. I think PE says that this driver is designed for small boxes and it indeed does seem to perform well in one. Maximum SPL is almost 107 dB at 240 watts input, in the simulator anyway.
I'm interested in a strong 40-50hz... Hi-Q basicly. I dont ever want to hear 20hz out of this box.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 06:46 PM   #46
diyAudio Member
 
dirkwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsuchpro View Post
I'm interested in a strong 40-50hz... Hi-Q basicly. I dont ever want to hear 20hz out of this box.
I think this combination is a good for a really small system, like the one we have in Sweden in our summer house. I just need to drag all the bits over there... sigh...
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 07:08 PM   #47
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brighton UK
Hi,

just stick it into an ~ 1 to 1.5 cuft sealed box. Port tunings need to be very
low for decent transient response and low response is not needed here.
Optionally use an amp with with circa 40Hz bass boost built in.

rgds, sreten.

The vented sims at the start of this thread will sound horrible.
__________________
There is nothing so practical as a really good theory - Ludwig Boltzmann
When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 07:13 PM   #48
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto and Delray Beach, FL
A ported speaker has a resonance (albeit, damped). Any input - including cars driving by on the street outside - will stimulate that resonance and so once you have the ported box in your room, you have it's coloration forever.

An EQ bass boost is not a resonance, just a boost on signal present in the music.

The curves in simulation programs never say "this part of the curve is from speaker motion and this part is from resonance."

Eyeballing pretty curves from speaker simulation programs tells you nothing about this.

Ben
__________________
Dennesen ESL tweets, Dayton-Wright ESL (110-3200Hz), mixed-bass Klipschorn (28-110), and giant OB using 1960's Stephens woofer (18-110); Behringer DSP. HiFi aspirations since 1956

Last edited by bentoronto; 5th October 2011 at 07:17 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 07:48 PM   #49
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brighton UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
A ported speaker has a resonance (albeit, damped). Any input - including cars driving by on the street outside - will stimulate that resonance and so once you have the ported box in your room, you have it's coloration forever.

An EQ bass boost is not a resonance, just a boost on signal present in the music.

The curves in simulation programs never say "this part of the curve is from speaker motion and this part is from resonance."

Eyeballing pretty curves from speaker simulation programs tells you nothing about this.

Ben
Hi, No, No, and No. No. ?. Indeed they don't as its irrelevant. rgds, sreten.
__________________
There is nothing so practical as a really good theory - Ludwig Boltzmann
When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 08:12 PM   #50
diyAudio Member
 
revboden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Question huh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
A ported speaker has a resonance (albeit, damped). Any input - including cars driving by on the street outside - will stimulate that resonance and so once you have the ported box in your room, you have it's coloration forever.

An EQ bass boost is not a resonance, just a boost on signal present in the music.

The curves in simulation programs never say "this part of the curve is from speaker motion and this part is from resonance."

Eyeballing pretty curves from speaker simulation programs tells you nothing about this.

Ben
resonance?? To quote one of my favorite movies "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." The Princess Bride
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ported vs TL vs sealed Jimmy154 Multi-Way 103 23rd August 2012 01:07 AM
Ported & sealed 2-in-1 subwoofer...possible? rocko1290 Subwoofers 11 11th September 2006 03:53 AM
sealed vs. ported sonu Multi-Way 25 9th May 2005 01:50 PM
Sealed or ported? mazeroth Subwoofers 13 23rd November 2004 01:44 PM
┐Sealed or Ported? eXn Car Audio 28 12th October 2004 12:05 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:05 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ę1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2