Compromise driver orientation? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2011, 05:03 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:34 AM   #12
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

So you made something like the Muse Model 18 subwoofer?

That was a well regarded product back in its day.
Old 23rd September 2011, 02:43 PM   #13
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

put some glue under the books and lamp.
this wil keep the wife happy
Old 23rd September 2011, 03:42 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
put some glue under the books and lamp.
this wil keep the wife happy
...and the elephant? I looked up the Muse model 18. Ported, dual downfiring 10 inch. What similarities are you suggesting?

"well regarded in its day" ? Damning faint praise ? Using a modern, somewhat state of the art, driver such as the 2011 Vifa, I'd like to implement it to it's fullest advantage. If I'm gonna diy I'd I might as well bring things a little 'up to date'.

I am, it seems, in a minority of types who actually prefer to have my sound reproduction as invisible as possible. My equipment is always behind a closed cabinet door. I'd love to actually have invisible speakers! My mains have always been as unobtrusively non-attention getting as possible. I've even flirted with the idea once of constructing a false wall of sheer fabric, of a color to match the other wall's paint, behind which are the speaker components. But it'd be an unreasonable use of floor space for any average sized home,

There was a quote from a review of that Muse sub that's worth repeating.

Quote:
"To me, subwoofers often sound detached from the music, providing an accompanying thump that bears little relationship to the sound from the main speakers. Rather than revealing the music/s harmonic underpinnings, subwoofers often obscure them in a thick morass of featureless boom."
There was a post in another thread here recently that suggested that there's little here at diyaudio for "real" subwoofer enthusiasts since the crowd here seems overwhelmingly music vs home theater oriented. So there's that little to share on the subject with 100 percent pure music types?

Frankly, I've never met a sub I didn't like.... within reason. I'm excluding the plastic box that comes with the set of desktop computer extensions. But most competent subs will 'fill' that bottom that the six inch, or even an eight inch, mains just needn't be tasked with. Despite the fact of its greater energy, I'd describe the job of a sub in most musical applications as "delicate". If I had a TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" DVC Subwoofer in a box with 2000 watts under the hood, I'm pretty sure that I'd be dialing that baby back to zero and then trimming upward to the point where I just, I mean just, begin to perceive it rounding out and supporting my mains at comfortable listening levels. It would do a really sweet job. For for my tastes and needs, I can get 98 percent of what I'd demand of that driver/amp at about 1/10 the price.

I used to follow the proceedings over at zaphaudio pretty closely. I'm very much in accord with his no nonsense, let's-raise-the-art-of-affordable-two-channel-stereo-diy approach. But he often seemed to have a slightly uncomfortable accomodation for subs. He'd insert a recommendation for their use toward the end of the build instructions for some of his smaller offerings, but a few times made it clear that he generally preferred their absence.

I've been kind of 'hooked' on subwoofers since I worked at an audio store way back in high school in the 70s. Something almost magical about how it lifts and supports what is issuing from the mains. There's a point at which you just barely dial them in, which may not even correspond to any theoretically perfect plot/curve/rise/flatness/level-matching, where the mains just seem to breathe life. That's the magic point for me.

Last edited by peace brainerd; 23rd September 2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 23rd September 2011, 04:30 PM   #15
johnr66 is offline johnr66  United States
diyAudio Member

I find that any sub that adds an element of "boom" to the music is ill designed junk that has a significant peak in the response curve. A lot of the small cab stuff with the port sound boomy. The little computer speaker subs are the worst offenders followed by the department store subs with the small ported cabs. A lot of people seem to like this. I guess it just shows how subjective audio can be.

In my DIY setup, I can't point out where the bass is coming from even though I like to turn the bass up a bit.
Old 23rd September 2011, 08:58 PM   #16
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace brainerd View Post
It's solid oak.
Click the image to open in full size.
Depending on where in the world it was made and when, that might be Ash rather than Oak. Cheers if it is, great find.
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:04 PM   #17
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"What similarities are you suggesting? "

The Muse is slot loaded, the drivers do not point down.

"A six inch wide slot in the front of the sub cabinet is formed by a false front"
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:57 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"Moving on to the acoustical configuration ,two 10" long throw woofers are mounted vertically in the cabinet, firing into the slot that runs down the enclosure center"
Oops, quite right. In the first paragraph an "acoustic slot" was mentioned as well as a description of the sub being downfiring. I put the two together and assumed that the slot was a port and that the drivers were mounted downward.

Cal, do you think it's worth my while to return this driver in exchange for the
Peerless XLS 12 inch? Think it would be worth the extra 40 dollars for the type of sub duty I've described? Vifa calls this driver, in various places, a "subwoofer", but it does seem to occupy a space between a conventional 12inch woofer and most "subwoofers".
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:05 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
....and the elephant?
Yes, the elephant too.

Quote:
There was a post in another thread here recently that suggested that there's little here at diyaudio for "real" subwoofer enthusiasts since the crowd here seems overwhelmingly music vs home theater oriented. So there's that little to share on the subject with 100 percent pure music types?
pure music types... 'cough' BS 'cough',
some of us are mastering engineers for movie production. FOH squeeks, roadies, system designers, and Cal. what more could a person want?
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:08 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Have you considered a PPSL to keep the vibes down.

two SD315A-88 12" would be nice in a sealed ppsl box.

Last edited by revboden; 23rd September 2011 at 10:13 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!