Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2011, 04:23 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Off to China for a couple of weeks-so will hook them up and leave 'em running!
Old 20th September 2011, 07:17 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Great idea but what will the wife say?
Old 18th September 2012, 04:51 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Dear Baron: I am curious to learn if you ever got around to hooking them up and giving them a listen -apart from knocking them with a knuckle. With respect -since I enjoy spec-ulating in advance of listening as well as listening- the aluminum frame will respond to a knuckle rap quite differently when the rim is clamped to a baffle as intended in use. The most sonorous of bells will die acoustically when the bell mouth rim is damped by setting it down to rest onto a table or like surface. Moreover, when sealed into a box, the internal resonances of cavity or frame will have a devil of a time penetrating that diaphragm to the outside and thus to your ear. The B139 is one of the least dependent-upon-box size drivers I have played with. Any bass/mid driver can sound like hell in a bass-reflex box, but in a sealed enclosure in which it is happiest -IMF style TLs notwithstanding- they can sound quite lovely, even run full-range as in a KEF K2 Duette sans tweet, which I adore. Kef addressed the 400 and 1100 Hs resonances quite well with the resonant-trap baffle plate employed in this design. By the way, I have played the hifi game since Eisenhower was Prez, and have owned actively- WE, Altec, RCA theater rigs, KLH Nines, Quad ESLs, JBL, Jensens, Tannoys, Goodmans, Hartley , B&W,Spendor BC1&2, as well as many other BBC style boxes, Radford, ESS, and IMF TLSs Koss Model One ESLs, Acoustat ESLs, and many, many more. I have found it useful in all cases to give them a listen first, and only then to consult the specs and theory to aid in figuring-out why - not whether I like the sound or not. Cart before the horse, and so-on. Happy listening!. Regards, Paul, USA.
Old 21st April 2013, 05:21 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the comments, I've not listened to these yet-no, I have heard others B139 in different enclosures, had an awful lot going on, have just moved home and started a new business.

On the upside I've also got a new home with more space for audio and have acquired a 12ch amp and active crossover so intend to build a T-TQWT (movies) for the B139 along with a pair of floor standers using some Focal Utopia 6W mids and a ribbon and dome combo.

The floor standers I've yet to start designing, the T-TQWT Bjorno helpfully designed will probably be used, though I need to workout how to make it into a single fold deign-if possible. I've plenty of experience with sealed/vented enclosures and BBpro but horns and all their variants along with hornresp still mystify a little-particularly visualising the design. I've muddled around with his design and not succeeded in improving it. I lowered F3, but lost SPL across range and reduced the bandwith

Any input would be appreciated-did you try any T-TQWT?
Old 21st April 2013, 08:23 PM   #35
Jozua is offline Jozua  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi

Is there a 'compact" box design available for these drivers ?

I have a niggling suspicion that Troels TL box for Jenzen Accu mkII will work ? It is roughly the same size of some TDL designs I have at home.

Jenzen-Accu

Regards

Jozua
Old 24th April 2013, 06:58 AM   #36
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The Speaker Builder magazine in the US had a TL fold for 10" unit in a shorter stocky box. My copies of SB is in storage but there should be some US members that have those issues at hand.
Old 24th April 2013, 10:02 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

I used to have a sub, based on the original Linkwitz 1978 article. Until I had a too large living room, I was quite happy with it. Not too large, played loud enough, and went plenty deep enough.
Old 10th July 2013, 04:28 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Smile KEF B139 passive radiators

Hi everybody, this is my first post on this fantastic forum, anyway, Ive been here for while, lurking in the "dark" and digesting all those tips, ideas and knowledges...
I have a pair of KEF B139 SP 1082 passive radiators, anyone interested?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0008.JPG (696.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0009.JPG (645.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0010.JPG (222.2 KB, 107 views)
Old 20th July 2013, 08:05 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Ooh, I would be-if I knew how to integrate them into a ML-TQWT and wasn't already under pressure to "do something" with of all my audio...

Do you have the TS for them?
Old 20th July 2013, 08:37 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

This is passive radiator type,without magnets and coils so You cannot integrate them into the ML-TQWT

Hide this!Advertise here!