Monacor SPH-450TC Thoughts? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2011, 12:34 AM   #11
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Lol, translators don't work always . Anyway, > 30Hz is more than enough for PA and keeps its size within proportion (or better efficiency).
Old 7th September 2011, 01:07 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

yes... she just ran away laughing at me... Should i have used ruimte? i'm learning.

is this for PA or home use?

Last edited by revboden; 7th September 2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 7th September 2011, 01:33 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I don't know, but since Felix is going for the max I don't think he wants to use it at home. And no, it's not the 'room' but the 'get' part in that phrase
Old 7th September 2011, 02:16 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I said something about war didn't I? that changes the meaning somewhat

Felix said in his second post

"Currently I have my 3-way floor standers which contain 8" bass reflexes, so i think these can handle the higher side of the sub range."

that makes me think he wants to use this at home.

Last edited by revboden; 7th September 2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 7th September 2011, 02:42 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Nah, it wasn't that bad you just should use the word "nemen" next time.
Hmmm, that does sound like he going to use them in his house. I hope he realises what he is up to, cause it does delivers ridiculous power in the low end and he is the one that needs to "een kamer nemen" cause he "krijgt een verbouwing"...
Old 7th September 2011, 02:57 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yes, interesting way to renovate/destroy a room, but i doubt he wants that.

rev.

Last edited by revboden; 7th September 2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 7th September 2011, 03:40 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hey!

Right I should probably keep explaining my situation. My plan is to make a sub which I will use indoors normally, however given the chance I will pull it outside with a PA system. At the moment I do a bit of DJ'ing and throw a few parties every now and then so I would love something that can be let off its chain and hopefully get a few grins from my mates.

Another factor is my older brother just bought a QSC KW181 ($2000!) for his PA system, and given the brother rivalry that goes on, I would love to see if I could build something that is better for cheaper....

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/QSC-KW181

I was originally thinking the higher box tuning to still keep the frequency response up there a little bit, however, from the impression you guys are giving, I may not be fully appreciating what Iím going to be in for on the SPL side, so I probably should play around with dropping it <30, maybe ~25hz?

I like the idea of a TH; however box size is an issue as I would like it slightly portable, as well as actually building the box looks pretty intense! I'll have a think over those plans and see if I can come to a decision.

Interesting about the crown XLS series, bit of a shame since I have read good things about crown in the past. Looking around Google I take it Carver are now out of business? From the Lab.gruppens website it looks like they are some pretty darn serious amps, running way more power than I need?

Would be good if i could get an amp locally here in Melbourne, how does the XTi series from crown perform?

XTi Series

I'm not being brand loyal to crown at all btw, it is just that I can get one locally from somewhere like https://www.storedj.com.au/, which stock Crown, Behringer and QSC.

Thanks for all your replies guys! I really appreciate it! (Even if Google translate does get a bit of a workout...
).

Felix
Old 7th September 2011, 05:15 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

OMG My stomach hurts, stop it! Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th September 2011, 01:18 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hey!

Have been playing around in WinISD a bit over the last couple of days and am not really sure about what I should be looking for. Have dropped the tuning down to 25 Hz, however this now gives me a pretty sizeable rolloff... I have found 170L is about the max I can push the box size before it gets lumpy!
With this 170 Iím getting about -7db at 25 Hz, with an f3 of 35.4.... Given I never had the opportunity to actually listen to how different boxes perform and how noticeable that 7db down low is going to be, should I be concerned?

Have done quite a bit of reading about TH's, and I really think that for my level of expertise I would end up getting a worse speaker than if I just want a BR.... (Boring I know!)

Ports at the moment Iím looking 4 at 4*68mm*353mm with a Mach of 0.05. Does that sound alright? Again Iíve never got to play around with differences in port diameter. As I understand it the bigger the port the less velocity, meaning less chuffing?

Cheers,

Felix
Attached Images
File Type: png 450TC - WinISD.png (80.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: png 450TC - WinISD2.png (62.7 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by FelixAUS; 11th September 2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Forgot to add pics!
Old 11th September 2011, 07:07 PM   #20
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

try tuning the 170 ltrs a bit higher( put f.i. 29 in the tuning tab/box)
but soundwise i prefer the extended bass-shelf of the 25 hz box
for music/semi pa 30 hz is low enough imo ,unless you are going to use it for ht.

Last edited by epa; 11th September 2011 at 07:11 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!