Monacor SPH-450TC Thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have been formulating plans for some new additions to my system for a couple of months and was wondering if anyone has had many encounters with the SPH-450TC, or has any thoughts on it?

I'm looking for something that will really pump out those lows, and am leaning towards this driver since the specs to me look pretty darn good, plus I can easily get one off SoundLabs.

http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/M-103270-SPH450TC/18%22+SPH-450TC+2+x+4+Ohm

Plans at the moment (from playing in WinISD) would be to go a 130L box, 4 ports, tuned to ~33 HZ.

However I am only new to this game and would really appreciate some guru’s opinions!

The alternative (based on all the good reviews I have read) is a PD1850? Slightly cheaper, although it may be hard to get my hands on one in Australia?

Feel free to suggest some good alternatives, there are that many out there I really find it hard to even begin searching....

Budget wise I'm not too fussed, happy to spend ~$1500 all up including an amp!

Any suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Felix

Hi Felix,

For over a decade the SPH450TC was our secret for 'ridiculous' deep subs in relative small package for our custom installations. Although it's not the right driver for full subrange (it lacks so called 'punch' and it could be best used along 'normal' subs) it sure has its own qualities. The cone is very stiff and doesn't suffer much from deforming and the motor is very strong too. Always wondered why the PA world overlooked this little monster as there was nothing else that could do the same job from the same volume. We used them in settings of two in a +/- 300 litre cab tuned to 30Hz to and powered them each with a bridged Hill Chameleons (1200W rms/8Ohm). The power rating as given is on the low side and don't go cheap on the amplifier! One downside, the package was quiet heavy to insure a controlled sound from a very stiff cab (130Kg per cab). Besides basreflex, they also perform very well in horns and tapped horns...
These days B&C (18SW115) and 18Sound (18NLW9600C) have new monsters that make the SPH450TC look a little dated but at the time of its release (in late 90ties) it was something special.

Last edited:
Thanks Djim!

Sounds pretty good since I'm looking for something that fills in those really deep spots! Currently I have my 3-way floor standers which contain 8" bass reflexes, so i think these can handle the higher side of the sub range.

Those other subs you posted do look impressive; however getting one online in Australia may be difficult (since both Aussie dealers are on the other side of the country!). Also these other subs seem to be running an intense load more power, meaning amps start getting very expensive pretty quick!

Amp wise for the SPH450TC I was looking at maybe the Crown XLS1000, given that the 700W of the amp would match the recommended power for the subs voicecoils when in series.

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/sound/amplifiers/crown-xls1000-amplifier.html

however seeing as you think the values are underrated I might be better off going something like the XLS1500? (1050w bridged at 8 ohm)?

I'll keep looking into those suggested and see if I can source one, then I can hopefully get further into making a decision! Although i'm not that rushed, I won't be able to build it until December so I have a bit of time to discuss/sleep on it.

Cheers!

Felix

Yes, impressive they are and I would suggest a Crown XLS1500 instead of the XLS1000. Soundwise I'm not a fan of these 'budget' Crown's since the SPH450TC's are quiet difficult loads. Among some of my colleagues these SPH450TC's drivers are known as amp killers. Therefore, it might be an option to look for some older Crown series second handed, like the classic Micro-tech (or Macro-tech) series MT2400. Another hard to beat sound is the combination with Labgruppen amps. If you want something cheaper (and maybe easier to get overthere) but still get a decent controlled sub sound, you can look for Carver PM series. You can run two SPH450TC’s from one PM1800, but don’t run anything else than sub range from these amps ;).

Felix, the SPH450TC's should work great in Josh Ricci's TH's, Othorn and Gjallerhorn.Or maybe you should design a new TH concept around that driver since it has lovely specs for it. The advantage of a TH is >3dB over a basreflex at cost of a bigger cab.

4Epa, yep zijn nog steeds leuke dingetjes en laat die nieuwe series maar eens twee jaar volle bak draaien met echt sublaag en er blijft niets van over. Carvers, lab's en Micro's en Macro's klinken na decennia nog steeds toppie!

Djim→
attachment.php
←epa

;)

Attachments

• Kiss.gif
    Kiss.gif
    693 bytes · Views: 606
I said something about war didn't I? that changes the meaning somewhat :eek:

Felix said in his second post

"Currently I have my 3-way floor standers which contain 8" bass reflexes, so i think these can handle the higher side of the sub range."

that makes me think he wants to use this at home.

Last edited:
Nah, it wasn't that bad :rolleyes: you just should use the word "nemen" next time.
Hmmm, that does sound like he going to use them in his house. I hope he realises what he is up to, cause it does delivers ridiculous power in the low end and he is the one that needs to "een kamer nemen" cause he "krijgt een verbouwing"... :D

Hey!

Right I should probably keep explaining my situation. My plan is to make a sub which I will use indoors normally, however given the chance I will pull it outside with a PA system. At the moment I do a bit of DJ'ing and throw a few parties every now and then so I would love something that can be let off its chain and hopefully get a few grins from my mates. :D

Another factor is my older brother just bought a QSC KW181 ($2000!) for his PA system, and given the brother rivalry that goes on, I would love to see if I could build something that is better for cheaper.... :p

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/QSC-KW181

I was originally thinking the higher box tuning to still keep the frequency response up there a little bit, however, from the impression you guys are giving, I may not be fully appreciating what I’m going to be in for on the SPL side, so I probably should play around with dropping it <30, maybe ~25hz?

I like the idea of a TH; however box size is an issue as I would like it slightly portable, as well as actually building the box looks pretty intense! I'll have a think over those plans and see if I can come to a decision.

Interesting about the crown XLS series, bit of a shame since I have read good things about crown in the past. Looking around Google I take it Carver are now out of business? From the Lab.gruppens website it looks like they are some pretty darn serious amps, running way more power than I need?

Would be good if i could get an amp locally here in Melbourne, how does the XTi series from crown perform?

XTi Series

I'm not being brand loyal to crown at all btw, it is just that I can get one locally from somewhere like https://www.storedj.com.au/, which stock Crown, Behringer and QSC.

Thanks for all your replies guys! I really appreciate it! (Even if Google translate does get a bit of a workout... :D
).

Felix

Hey!

Have been playing around in WinISD a bit over the last couple of days and am not really sure about what I should be looking for. Have dropped the tuning down to 25 Hz, however this now gives me a pretty sizeable rolloff... I have found 170L is about the max I can push the box size before it gets lumpy!
With this 170 I’m getting about -7db at 25 Hz, with an f3 of 35.4.... Given I never had the opportunity to actually listen to how different boxes perform and how noticeable that 7db down low is going to be, should I be concerned?

Have done quite a bit of reading about TH's, and I really think that for my level of expertise I would end up getting a worse speaker than if I just want a BR.... (Boring I know!)

Ports at the moment I’m looking 4 at 4*68mm*353mm with a Mach of 0.05. Does that sound alright? Again I’ve never got to play around with differences in port diameter. As I understand it the bigger the port the less velocity, meaning less chuffing?

Cheers,

Felix

Attachments

• 450TC - WinISD.png
    450TC - WinISD.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 450TC - WinISD2.png
    450TC - WinISD2.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
try tuning the 170 ltrs a bit higher( put f.i. 29 in the tuning tab/box)
but soundwise i prefer the extended bass-shelf of the 25 hz box
for music/semi pa 30 hz is low enough imo ,unless you are going to use it for ht.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.