Polk Audio PSW10 worth it? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2011, 09:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Polk Audio PSW10 worth it?

So I just bought myself a pair of monitor30s and a T-amp for my pc.. and i'm planning on adding a PSW for this setup, saw many good reviews for the PSW10 from newegg and amazon.. but just wanted to get some opinions from someone that have good experience for subwoofers.. you guys think this is worth it for $100?? should i spend my money some where else?? any help will be greatly appreciated.. thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 07:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've got this PSW10 hooked up to my system right now, supporting my Seas ER18RNX 2-way.

I'm using it to add a little bit of weight to the lower bass (below 80Hz). Good value for money and very convenient. Can't play very loud though, only 50Watts Continuous (100Watts peak). Not really an issue for me as I don't listen to my music loud.

If you want more power, check out these Subs at Parts Express. There's a sale on right now. There's no indication of whether the power is Peak or Continuous. I noticed one big difference is in the crossover. The Dayton goes down to 40Hz whereas the PSW10 lowest is 80Hz.

Dayton 10" Active SUB
Dayton SUB-100 10" 125 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Dayton 12" Active SUB
Dayton SUB-120 12" 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Whether the PSW10 is worth the money really depends on your expectations.
Old 2nd September 2011, 07:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I see.. thanks for inputs.. yea i've asked the same question on another forum and i've gotten a same answer as you.. they recommend me the same subs too.. i do listen to semi loud music once a while, so having a good amount of head rooms is always better.. funny thing is that i'm not getting free shipping for the sub-100 ... anything else over 98$ is free tho.. just not this one..
Old 2nd September 2011, 09:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It would normally be Free Shipping $100 and above. I think because of the Clearance Sale, they need to have a Shipping Upcharge to cover some of the Shipping Cost.

I'm getting a $9.95 Shipping by Economy. Still a good bargain.
Old 2nd September 2011, 09:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

PSW10.... cough:junk:cough

yeah, check out something else.
Old 3rd September 2011, 05:04 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

one question.. if i were to buy a sub-100.. can i use a 3.5mm splitter to connect one side to my sub and the other side to my amp->speakers? do i still need a amp for the sub-100?? what happened is that the amp i'm using is a T-amp, a lepai tripath t2020.. and it doesnt have a low pass filter inside.. so i'm planning to connecting the sub straight to the source as well as the amp->speakers, and leave the amp at one position... and just adjust the volume from my computer.. you guys think this will work?
Old 3rd September 2011, 05:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes, that's the usual way. Use a Y cable. One to your T-amp, the other to the sub. You won't need another amp because the SUB-100 already has a plate amp. Adjust the SUB-100 Volume and Crossover to suite your monitors.

With this arrangement, your computer will control the System Volume (ie the Monitors and SUB).
Old 3rd September 2011, 06:04 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks! time to click on that check-out button XD
Old 3rd September 2011, 09:36 AM   #9
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default find a good deal on a sub

Donít forget about the ďusedĒ market; if you not in a hurry and familiar with ebay Iím sure you can find a good deal on a sub. Oh btw, Velodyne claims to be the #1 subwoofer manufacture.
Old 4th September 2011, 07:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks.. was checking out the impact 10&12 from velodyne.. and found out that the dayton sub100 and 120 had lower frequency crossovers and response.. does this mean the daytons will be better??

Hide this!Advertise here!