7 Foot Sonotube = line source? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2003, 10:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to eRiCdWoNg
Default 7 Foot Sonotube = line source?

I reverted back to my old subwoofer since I'm having trouble integrating my new 2.5 foot sealed Tumult with my Magnepan speakers. The maggies are 6 feet high and 2 feet wide and are definately "line source" speakers. Ive tried various phase settings, crossover frequencies and room placement to no avail. My previous setup is a 12" Cerwin Vega car sub in a ported 7 foot sonotube that sits in the front right corner of the room. It is wired out of phase in relation to the speakers. Now, I find this setup integrates awesome, all around the room and at various heights. So this got me thinking. Would such a long sub like this be more of a "line source" driver then a point source? Maybe this is why its integrating better then the other? If so, im either going to stick with this setup and make a better enclosure, or make a new enclosure thats 6-7 feet high for the Tumult.
Old 28th August 2003, 11:29 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It's not a line source. A line source actually emits all along the length of the line and has a 1/r amplitude dependence. What you've got is a point source and a long cabinet.
Old 29th August 2003, 10:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

What you have is a variation of a quarter wave length or transmission line subwoofer. I have a similar setup using a Shiva in a 72"x14" heavily stuffed tube. Technically, it should be longer but the stuffing seems to make up for it. The driver is downfiring and there's no cap on it.
Old 31st August 2003, 06:02 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to eRiCdWoNg
Im still trying to use my Tumult but quite frankly I think this driver freakin sux. It takes so much darn power to drive and doesnt have all the performance that its cracked up to have, I havent gotten it to integrate with the Maggies (or my PA system for that matter) at all not to mention its expensive as balls.

Hide this!Advertise here!