What would you pick? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2011, 07:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What would you pick?

Ok I decided not to build my own woofer.

I am looking at some pre built stuff. I want it to be low and loud... as possible...

BIC Formula F-12 12" Subwoofer 475 Watts
150 watts RMS/475 watts peak

Dayton SUB-120 12" 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer
150 watt amp (ia that the rms or peak?)

BIC Venturi V1220 12" Powered Subwoofer 200W
200 watts RMS/430 watts peak

If you have any suggestions on what you would get I want something that has a frequency response of at least 25 hz.

I don't really know how the size of the driver and its wattage compare...

On the last one even though the peak is lower its rms is higher. I would assume that would be the better choice o.O?

Maybe even brands differ I don't know... Like AMD and Intell processors.

Last edited by spellwords; 26th August 2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 26th August 2011, 07:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've had a few BIC subs (don't recall models) but they were very similar to the ones you linked and I couldn't stand them. Sloppy, bloated bass that was just horrible no matter where I put it or what I tried. I suspect the Dayton would be a better choice and I'd buy that one over any BIC but that is nothing more than a guess really and purely going off my dislike for the BIC product. But it does come from experience with them
Old 26th August 2011, 07:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 503Timber View Post
I've had a few BIC subs (don't recall models) but they were very similar to the ones you linked and I couldn't stand them. Sloppy, bloated bass that was just horrible no matter where I put it or what I tried. I suspect the Dayton would be a better choice and I'd buy that one over any BIC but that is nothing more than a guess really and purely going off my dislike for the BIC product. But it does come from experience with them

That is why I am asking lol
Old 26th August 2011, 07:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes I know lol
Old 26th August 2011, 08:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Is Pyle a decent brand?
Old 26th August 2011, 09:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

What's your budget range? Are you able to build a cabinet (I know you said you weren't going that route)? You could do a bit better by purchasing a plate amp (the amp on the back of the box) and a speaker of your choice and simply build your own box. You will most likely be happier with the results and it will have the DIY factor

I don't have any personal experience with Pyle but I bet another member will chime in soon......
Old 26th August 2011, 09:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What's your budget range? Are you able to build a cabinet (I know you said you weren't going that route)? You could do a bit better by purchasing a plate amp (the amp on the back of the box) and a speaker of your choice and simply build your own box. You will most likely be happier with the results and it will have the DIY factor

I don't have any personal experience with Pyle but I bet another member will chime in soon......

Could I use a car woofer with a plate amp? What would I need to do different?
Old 26th August 2011, 09:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

You could do that.....be careful of the ohm rating and what the plate amp will do.....if you have a 4ohm woofer and your amp will only drive 8ohms then there is a problem but there is also ways around that. What sub do you have and maybe we can come up with an amp that will work well?

I suspect most plate amps are good to 4ohms or maybe even lower so this shouldn't be an issue.......
Old 26th August 2011, 09:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You could do that.....be careful of the ohm rating and what the plate amp will do.....if you have a 4ohm woofer and your amp will only drive 8ohms then there is a problem but there is also ways around that. What sub do you have and maybe we can come up with an amp that will work well?

I suspect most plate amps are good to 4ohms or maybe even lower so this shouldn't be an issue.......
Dayton Audio SA240-B 240W Subwoofer Amplifier with Boost

Power output: 170 watts RMS @ 8 ohms 240 watts RMS @ 4 ohms

Lets just say I had that amp and I bought a driver that was 900 watts RMS 1,800 watts peak. Would that even work? Would it sound like junk? Doe sit have to be 240 watt rms for it to work?

Last edited by spellwords; 26th August 2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 26th August 2011, 09:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

That looks like a nice amp with plenty of power. I have had a few Dayton products and they have never let me down.
Not too mention Parts Express is top notch!!

Hide this!Advertise here!