One room and two inverted subwoofers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2011, 01:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default One room and two inverted subwoofers?

I have noticed that i don't enjoy to have a LF driver placed in a corner in any form. There is just to much boom and my years are not really enjoying that. Open baffles are said to ...not load the room, wich from what i have noticed and from others opinion also is more pleasing to the year.
Having two identical subs, one conected in reverse, will produce the same pleasing effect as an open baffle right? Or am i wrong....

Anyway placement will be problematic..
Old 23rd August 2011, 02:18 AM   #2
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

2 back-to-back subs in opposite polarity will work as a dipole. The problem is that this arrangement represents a waste of resources. 2 woofers on an open baffle will give much more output than 2 back-to-back boxed subs.

EQ + time delay should be a good way to integrate corner subs. It might be beneficial to have the subwoofer as close to the corner as possible. I would have the sub in the corner with the woofer cone facing the wall, with about an inch clearance.
Old 23rd August 2011, 09:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Corner loading will depend on the frequency response of the subwoofer anyway - if there are any peaks, they're likely to show.

Best bet would (I expect) would be to add some equalisation, as dipole LF is, IMO, a waste of drivers. Sure, it can be done, and can sound good. But when the speakers had a pair of 18" drivers and a 15" driver per side and could be (easily) matched in volume by a pair of ported 12"s, I know which I'd rather take.
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

So ...all the boomines that i don't like might come from bad freqency response(when corner loading a sub) ?
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That would be my guess, yeah.

Which subwoofer is it that you're using?
Old 23rd August 2011, 01:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

corner loading a subwoofer in my livingroom excites the room's boom modes. one pitch really dominates. if i equalize, i get the right amount of bass but it still has that boomy character. i don't like it. the trick that everyone puts out there is to place the sub where you sit and crawl about the room in search of a place where the bass sounds the way you want it to. i used an rta. when you find a place where the bass sounds good to you (might be more than one), put your sub there. this sub placement will link to your listening location properly. just finished doing this and it was a big improvement in my system.
Old 23rd August 2011, 02:27 PM   #7
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

DP_woofer_room

This might help =)
Old 23rd August 2011, 05:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcb121055 View Post
...the trick that everyone puts out there is to place the sub where you sit and crawl about the room in search of a place where the bass sounds the way you want it to. i used an rta. when you find a place where the bass sounds good to you (might be more than one), put your sub there. this sub placement will link to your listening location properly...
+1
I did this too and like it a lot, didn't take that much time either.
Old 24th August 2011, 01:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllBoll View Post
DP_woofer_room

This might help =)
this is what i was thinking! thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 01:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

BDW...does anyone here have two subs to try the configuration in the above link?

Hide this!Advertise here!