10" FLH Bass Reflex Design 20Hz extension.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is late so I may have got this a bit wrong but I am confident in this design. It is a bass reflex with a front loaded horn basically, here goes. Using the Peerless XLS-269 10" driver. 225W for full power of 115dB.

Capture-15.png

Capture2-1.png

Capture3-1.png

Capture5.png

Capture6.png

Enclosure; middle section is the reflex with port at the top and then the horn on far left and bottom. Cross hatched section is for driver placement, I will get some measurement for this later on.

Capture7.png

My largest concern of this design is the size of the ports and horn with cross sections of only 60cm square, I will look into that further tomorrow. Until then please suggest ideas and the like.

Thanks.

I'm not the smartest when it comes to horns, but afaik horns are supposed to net you some actual gain. You're only getting about a 3db gain which is equal to a standard ported enclosure. You can elminate all that "horn" stuff on the end, and you'd have the same output.

The problem i'm seeing is you don't have a gradual expansion, just a slot port that wraps around itself. It'll give you low tuning for a ported enclosure, but you won't be getting any additional output.

Someone with more horn experience should chime in, But i beleive you're not getting any real gain with this enclosure, just a bit of extension.

Your impedance plot should have two peaks in it if its a properly built horn.

Edit: just noticed i was looking at group delay, not impedance, Check impedance for two peaks.

Last edited:
This is a vented horn.
Vented bandpass horn? - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That's what I have made just with small ports which I didn't think would be ideal, I do achieve gain as I simmed the ported enclosure first to achieve the resonance first. I also don't beliveve a horn needs to taper? I have played around with a few which are quite happy with no taper although I do admit it's not really a horn then. I also get two peaks in the impedance, Have you plotted a regular vented enclosure in winisd to see how low the SPL gets at 20Hz?

Thanks keep the advice coming I am tinkering with the design, with the ports as they are what would the sound be like? I can't imagine it being very good forcing 115dB out of two small ports?

Last edited:
Hi Boscoe,

What you presented in Post #1 is a BP6, the one BP1Fanatic linked to in Post #4 is a BP6 with one port in form of a short horn. The Hornresp Input in the linked thread is the more correct way of setting up a simulation, but yours should work too. Part of the difference you found between simulating in WinISD and Hornresp may be that your Ang entry is 1.0 x Pi whereas WinISD defaults to 2.0 x Pi (I'm assuming you used the BP6 box mode in Win ISD). Also, a horn without a taper is a pipe or tube, I think?

Regards,

That's what I have made just with small ports which I didn't think would be ideal, I do achieve gain as I simmed the ported enclosure first to achieve the resonance first. I also don't beliveve a horn needs to taper? I have played around with a few which are quite happy with no taper although I do admit it's not really a horn then. I also get two peaks in the impedance, Have you plotted a regular vented enclosure in winisd to see how low the SPL gets at 20Hz?

Thanks keep the advice coming I am tinkering with the design, with the ports as they are what would the sound be like? I can't imagine it being very good forcing 115dB out of two small ports?

People do build stepped horns. Your pic could be considered a negative tapered stepped horn based on your HR inputs.

I take that back. I thought you went from 120cm2 to 60cm2 over a distance. You just started your PORT at 0.10cm.

Last edited:
To be a horn, there has to be an expansion (tapered or stepped) towards the mouth like horn instruments. Your design has straight ports which makes it a BP6. As long as your ports have enough area to keep the vent air speed below Mach 0.10, then you should be good on the distortion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.