Driver recommendations needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all.

I'm looking to build an 8-10" active sub to augment my 2 channel hifi.

Based on previous listening experiences i am inclined to go for a sealed design, as they tend to have the best transient response.

However, having never designed or made speakers before, i have no idea as to component selection. (Drivers, amps etc)

Also, should i be looking at external amplification or a plate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris.

Hi. Thanks for the response.

Average spl - not a clue, being only 18 there are many gizmos i'm yet to acquire.
I listen to music fairly loud. I suppose it seems slightly louder than when you're sat in the middle of a cinema, but on a much smaller scale. (rubbish comparison i know, but its all i can come up with for now)

Room size - probably about 5m x 5.5m

Music type - this isnt going to help. Basically everything. Reggae, jazz, contemporary piano, orchestral, rock, 80/90's hip hop.

Other stuff - Currently using some SD Acoustics bookshelf speakers. They sound very similar to Dynaudio kit, as indeed shortly after making mine, they switched to Dynaudio drivers. Highs and Mids are very crisp, yet warm. For a bookshelf the bass is good, but in comparison to a decent floorstander lacking for obvious reasons.
Running these off a Creek Audio two channel amp, no sub out-put. Will find out model no. when home.

Anything else required?

Thanks

Chris

That's a large room for a 10" driver. I'd go up to 12" or 15" if you want reference levels. You'll want a subwoofer amp with high level inputs (see photo) do you have any modeling software like WinISD Pro? ( LinearTeam )

Attachments

• hi level input.jpg
    hi level input.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 67
I have winISD Pro although have only played around with it a few times.

i'm more than willing to use a bigger driver if it will deliver a better sound for the size of room than a smaller one.

are there any well respected high level input amps that would suit? or should this be decided after selecting a driver?

thanks

chris

That would depend... where are you, generally. europe, americas, australia or.... canada (hehe)

the size of the driver is really about spl and frequency. How low do you want the sub to go?

getting a spl meter, even a cheap one, will really help.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.