Tapped Horn questions? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2011, 02:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tapped Horn questions?

I a new to tapped horns and have some questions for those who might help. I have read many of the threads here, but most seem to come from the perspective of someone who knows what they are doing. I think i can work out using Hornresp with some tutorials i have found, but my main question concerns driver selection. What are the characterstics that i should be looking for if i wanted to build a horn capable of 40-150/200Hz? Is this even possible? I have a pair of Seas CA22RNX woofers. Would these work, and if not, why? I did not want ot threadjack so i have started my own. So far i have found no answers to the questions i have asked. If there are threads or info thath would help, i greatly appreciate the info. FYI, I am looking to mate these with a MA 7.3 FR driver.

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...115&Itemid=137

Last edited by buzzforb; 9th August 2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 9th August 2011, 05:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Seas CA22 RNX in TH

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
... What are the characterstics that i should be looking for if i wanted to build a horn capable of 40-150/200Hz? Is this even possible? I have a pair of Seas CA22RNX woofers. Would these work, and if not, why? ...FYI, I am looking to mate these with a MA 7.3 FR driver. THE ART OF SOUND PERFECTION BY SEAS - H1288-08 CA22RNX
Hi there: Th should work, you have all the T/S parameters in the data sheet to enter in HR. When simulating in HR, watch the Xmax, which from the data sheet looks like 12mm (adequate for home use) and you can adjust the Eg voltage to find the power level that is within the 80 watts long term spec. Hope you post the HR sim, and get on with a build. ... regards, Michael
Old 9th August 2011, 09:51 PM   #3
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
I a new to tapped horns and have some questions for those who might help. I have read many of the threads here, but most seem to come from the perspective of someone who knows what they are doing. I think i can work out using Hornresp with some tutorials i have found, but my main question concerns driver selection. What are the characterstics that i should be looking for if i wanted to build a horn capable of 40-150/200Hz? Is this even possible? I have a pair of Seas CA22RNX woofers. Would these work, and if not, why? I did not want ot threadjack so i have started my own. So far i have found no answers to the questions i have asked. If there are threads or info thath would help, i greatly appreciate the info. FYI, I am looking to mate these with a MA 7.3 FR driver.

THE ART OF SOUND PERFECTION BY SEAS - H1288-08 CA22RNX
Hi,

You will not achieve a flat FR from 40 -- 150-200Hz if trying to build a TH
but a T-TQWT would do the job. Here is an example of a T-TQWT suggestion to be used as stands for MA Alpair 7.3 FR: The picture here below..

b

PS: The T-TQWT can easily be extended to flat ~22-200Hz if a larger enclosure volume/length are allowed.

To avoid localization issues( sound-stage hang down =floor heavy) for a near flush floor placed driver: XO below 145 Hz (Here: a LR4 LP filter ensure 250 Hz to be 20 dB down like a 12 dB LP filter at 80 Hz would do too) is recommended if not the woofer driver can be placed close to the FR driver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seas-CA22RNX_MA-Alpair-7.3FR.JPG (525.5 KB, 305 views)
Old 9th August 2011, 10:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bjorno. I will digest your info and come back with questions
Old 11th August 2011, 07:22 AM   #5
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Bjorno,

Another tapped horn dummy here...

I do not have any sub drivers yet - what driver would you recommend for the T-TQWT?

Tapped horn or T-TQWT, I am thinking of 25-100 Hz capable, better if it can go up to 120 Hz if required.

Thanks,
Zia
Old 11th August 2011, 09:54 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Bjorno,

Another tapped horn dummy here...

I do not have any sub drivers yet - what driver would you recommend for the T-TQWT?

Tapped horn or T-TQWT, I am thinking of 25-100 Hz capable, better if it can go up to 120 Hz if required.

Thanks,
Zia
Hi Zia,

Drivers that work well in a TQWT are also in general suitable for T-TQWT's the only that differs is that you can trade low end FR SPL capability for BW if turning a TQWT into a T-TQWT.

A TQWT FR is a result of summing responses in the far field (driver and terminus) but a T-TQWT is essentially a point source pressure type as there is only radiation from a termination port.

There are numerous threads with TH's and T-TQWT's ,try Google Hornresponse tutor and you will at least find step by step instructions for TH's but fewer for T-TQWT's.

What is your intended use of a TH/T-TQWT?

b
Old 11th August 2011, 10:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post
...PS: The T-TQWT can easily be extended to flat ~22-200Hz if a larger enclosure volume/length are allowed..
FYI:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seas-CA22RNX_T-TQWT.JPG (709.4 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg Seas-CA22RNX_OD-TL.JPG (544.6 KB, 241 views)
Old 12th August 2011, 04:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post
FYI:

b
FYI #2: Adding a smaller sub or stand using MA Alpair-12 gray driver that reaches THX SPL if put in a room corner:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apair12gray-T-TQWT.JPG (614.6 KB, 183 views)
Old 12th August 2011, 05:06 PM   #9
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Interesting Bjorno... you mean to say you are using the Alp 12 sub?
Old 13th August 2011, 12:41 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Bjorno,
Thank you for the sims. I appreciate it. I would like to buld one of these, but before i do, i have some questions. Using this speaker, what would be the lowest i could go and still have good range into midbass for crossover. I am willing to give up low end if it will tighten things up or give greater extension into the higher frequencies. I am willing to give up low end for cleaner crisper sound. I admit i know very little about this and would appreciate any reading references you might provide. Also, how would a BR or sealed enclosure fair in repsonse and sound against these options?

Hide this!Advertise here!