Tapped Horn questions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I a new to tapped horns and have some questions for those who might help. I have read many of the threads here, but most seem to come from the perspective of someone who knows what they are doing. I think i can work out using Hornresp with some tutorials i have found, but my main question concerns driver selection. What are the characterstics that i should be looking for if i wanted to build a horn capable of 40-150/200Hz? Is this even possible? I have a pair of Seas CA22RNX woofers. Would these work, and if not, why? I did not want ot threadjack so i have started my own. So far i have found no answers to the questions i have asked. If there are threads or info thath would help, i greatly appreciate the info. FYI, I am looking to mate these with a MA 7.3 FR driver.

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115&Itemid=137

Last edited:
Seas CA22 RNX in TH

... What are the characterstics that i should be looking for if i wanted to build a horn capable of 40-150/200Hz? Is this even possible? I have a pair of Seas CA22RNX woofers. Would these work, and if not, why? ...FYI, I am looking to mate these with a MA 7.3 FR driver. THE ART OF SOUND PERFECTION BY SEAS - H1288-08 CA22RNX

Hi there: Th should work, you have all the T/S parameters in the data sheet to enter in HR. When simulating in HR, watch the Xmax, which from the data sheet looks like 12mm (adequate for home use) and you can adjust the Eg voltage to find the power level that is within the 80 watts long term spec. Hope you post the HR sim, and get on with a build. ... regards, Michael

I a new to tapped horns and have some questions for those who might help. I have read many of the threads here, but most seem to come from the perspective of someone who knows what they are doing. I think i can work out using Hornresp with some tutorials i have found, but my main question concerns driver selection. What are the characterstics that i should be looking for if i wanted to build a horn capable of 40-150/200Hz? Is this even possible? I have a pair of Seas CA22RNX woofers. Would these work, and if not, why? I did not want ot threadjack so i have started my own. So far i have found no answers to the questions i have asked. If there are threads or info thath would help, i greatly appreciate the info. FYI, I am looking to mate these with a MA 7.3 FR driver.

THE ART OF SOUND PERFECTION BY SEAS - H1288-08 CA22RNX

Hi,

You will not achieve a flat FR from 40 -- 150-200Hz if trying to build a TH
but a T-TQWT would do the job. Here is an example of a T-TQWT suggestion to be used as stands for MA Alpair 7.3 FR: The picture here below..

b:)

PS: The T-TQWT can easily be extended to flat ~22-200Hz if a larger enclosure volume/length are allowed.

To avoid localization issues( sound-stage hang down =floor heavy) for a near flush floor placed driver: XO below 145 Hz (Here: a LR4 LP filter ensure 250 Hz to be 20 dB down like a 12 dB LP filter at 80 Hz would do too) is recommended if not the woofer driver can be placed close to the FR driver.

Attachments

• Seas-CA22RNX_MA-Alpair-7.3FR.JPG
    Seas-CA22RNX_MA-Alpair-7.3FR.JPG
    525.5 KB · Views: 344
Bjorno,

Another tapped horn dummy here... :)

I do not have any sub drivers yet - what driver would you recommend for the T-TQWT?

Tapped horn or T-TQWT, I am thinking of 25-100 Hz capable, better if it can go up to 120 Hz if required.

Thanks,
Zia

Hi Zia,

Drivers that work well in a TQWT are also in general suitable for T-TQWT's the only that differs is that you can trade low end FR SPL capability for BW if turning a TQWT into a T-TQWT.

A TQWT FR is a result of summing responses in the far field (driver and terminus) but a T-TQWT is essentially a point source pressure type as there is only radiation from a termination port.

There are numerous threads with TH's and T-TQWT's ,try Google Hornresponse tutor and you will at least find step by step instructions for TH's but fewer for T-TQWT's.

What is your intended use of a TH/T-TQWT?

Bjorno,
Thank you for the sims. I appreciate it. I would like to buld one of these, but before i do, i have some questions. Using this speaker, what would be the lowest i could go and still have good range into midbass for crossover. I am willing to give up low end if it will tighten things up or give greater extension into the higher frequencies. I am willing to give up low end for cleaner crisper sound. I admit i know very little about this and would appreciate any reading references you might provide. Also, how would a BR or sealed enclosure fair in repsonse and sound against these options?

I thought I'd read somewhere that all the MA driver's suspension precluded using any BP loading............

GM

Hi,
You are right, The Alpair12 driver may not survive a T_TQWT load :eek:..

I have no experience of this driver...but here is another high SQ suggestion:

The Wavecor-SW182BD02 used dual in a box that IME can cope with such a load and tonally sound almost constant up to levels reaching x-max:

Attachments

• 2xWavecor-SW182BD02_34L-T-TQWT.GIF
    2xWavecor-SW182BD02_34L-T-TQWT.GIF
    148.2 KB · Views: 151
Bjorno,

You had asked in an earlier post about what is my intended usage of the sub. Sorry, I missed out on that; let me try to answer - and apologies in advance for the long description :).

I am looking to place subs in 2 rooms - one in the living room for HT, and the other would be my "listening room".

Firstly if we take the listening room, it is not large - around 170 sq ft. I listen to music at moderate levels mostly. I already have Super Pensil 12 speakers using Alp 12 drivers, and they are no slouch with bass. Probably later in the year I shall add Alp 7 in P10 Onken boxes. It would be good to have a "helper sub" in the room, one which I can turn on to cover anywhere from 25Hz - 120 Hz if possible. I have 2 corners in the the room which can be used, and definitely the system will be bi-amped. Will use PC as source with soundcard being able to cross the subs from 50Hz to 250 Hz. To tell you the truth, probably "helper woofers" are more appropriate for me as I need the bass assistance basically for heavy metal and hard rock that I listen to at times. But if a sub (or two) can provide the extra oomph through low to upper bass region, I am not going to say no to it.

The other room is ~280 sq ft and the sub(s) would be for HT material mostly. My fronts will be Lotus^2 with CHR70.2, and they should be good till mid 40s. The job of the sub is to provide impact and produce LF content of movies.

Driver wise I have a pair of old 12" woofers, but I don't know T&S. Got some MA Woofer # 6 mid-bass drivers too. Planning to buy CSS SDX-7 for tapped horn (if it works) or even sealed box (P10 Tysen style).

GM,

Greetings! Good to see you join in sir, and any advice for the dazed and confused is more than welcome!

Thanks,
Zia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.