Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2011, 05:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question New to DIY and need some help

i have been reading over many of the posts here and am having trouble

i find that everyone seems to already know all their stuff about the dyanamics of Subs...

i have downloaded Hornresp... but have no clue what i am doing with it

i need a spot to learn the values and what they are and what they mean to me.

I would like to build sub boxes for EDM music (techno and house primarily) and just need to be pointed in the right direction.

any help would be awesome.
Old 8th August 2011, 07:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Bump im sure there is one person willing to direct a total noob search in the right direction...

Last edited by Jeffreyfour4; 8th August 2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 8th August 2011, 07:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

You should take a look at``The loudspeaker design cookbook``It`s mostly about the low frequency aspect of building speakers....
Old 8th August 2011, 08:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

sweet i will look that up thank you
Old 9th August 2011, 06:36 AM   #5
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

hornresp has a help function.
you can also take a look here.
if you have any quistions just ask.
Old 12th August 2011, 01:36 AM   #6
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

If this is about playing loud repetitive beats to large groups of people, take a look at Speakerplans.com There's proven plans, and a forum with people who've built them. If you don't just want to spend money and make sawdust, it would be educational to attempt to model the plans there in hornresp and get a better understanding.

Somewhere at the audioasylum there's a description of a manifold type sub that sounds promising, using a 15" Eminence if I remember correctly. It could make sense to load more small bins into the truck than the same volume of bigger horns... spreading watts over more voice coils reduces power compression. And the bigger the box, the harder it is to load in and out of venues with stairs.
Old 13th August 2011, 01:26 AM   #7
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"Somewhere at the audioasylum there's a description of a manifold type sub that sounds promising, using a 15" Eminence "

That would be the PPSL subs I helped Les Hudson with, they do the trick.

For dance music:

Click the image to open in full size.

Four of these will do most sized rooms, the system shown above was in a 3,000 seat ballroom (only 1KW used on the low end, 1KW on mids, .4KW on highs).

Click the image to open in full size.

Cut list for four boxes, less than five sheets required. This design requires a high-pass filter with a Q=2 at 35hz. The Eminence Kappa Pro 15-LFA will handle 600W sine-wave without hitting x-max on this design. Four boxes will handle a QSC RMX 4050HD or a Crown XLS 5000 (2.5KW/2Ω x 2).
Old 14th August 2011, 12:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,
The first question I I would like to ask is what you are going to use the sub for except for EDM music, e.g. playing at home for own llistening, having parties at home, that is are you planning to play loud or just for enjoying the music in the background or so.

Next question: Do you have a large room (what size)? echo?, if so, you need to do something about echo in the room, otherwise it sounds terrible.

Here is some advise:
If you buy the cookbook, which is very good, I think you will getting bored and quit your plans building speakers,
Instead you can do like this, choose a driver (car subwoofers 15"),
get winisp application from the internet for free (easy to use and good enough for beginners), open the app, choose new, look in the database if its already mapped, if not, klick own drivers and new, put in small thiele parameters (e.g. xmax, qms, qts, bl...), save. Now, open up new, choose your own driver, klick next, choose closed box design, klick next, look for how much volume the driver needs for the closed design (which is a poor design for your puproses), write it down, close. Now, do this procedure once again but this time you choose vented box design instead, klick to the end. The vented design will go much depper in bass response, but you propably will hav a fast attack design, so do like this instead. Klick box, and change the needed volume for the box to the volume you got from the closed box design, there you have it, check for vents and make shure you dont overspeed the air from it, less speed the better, otherwise you end up with a so called "boom box" and that is not nice. Build a vented box with the same volume as if it was supposed to be a closed one, make sure you add volume for all things you put in the box, driver takes space, reinforcement does and so on. Check once more that you really have a box that match up with the needed volume. I expect you will hav a great woofer and will enyou EDM music with this speaker. If you choose another direction, such as looking for depper bass I think you propably will end up with a poor speaker that doesnt do the job. Why? Because all other designs demands alot more skills and messurements, time ,money and so on.

Good luck!

/Michael

Hide this!Advertise here!