My first Active sub build... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2011, 02:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My first Active sub build...

Hello all, my first post here so please be gentle....

I am on a tight budget for a sub woofer, i DJ a few parties a year, 3 or 4 and my own New Years eve party... Currently u use 2 Cerwin Vega AT-10 as my main and a paradigm 10" active sub for my sub, its not bad, but i would prefer to keep my home theater paradigm sub out of the party genre and go for something less expensive and more disposable if something happens... I use a 300 watt cheapy amp i bought online, i even forget the brand of it, but its cool enough for what i do...

I have a party(100 people) coming up in late September in a hall, my sub will not cut it, i bought speaker stands for my AT-10s i think i can do with that, but i need a bigger sub.

So i wanted to build my own sub using this woofer and this amp.
Woofer:
Dayton Audio PA380-8 15" Pro Woofer
Amp:
Dayton Audio SA240-B 240W Subwoofer Amplifier with Boost

Are these ok?
As for the cabinet... i am not sure what i should tune it to for dance music application... 35 hz? 40 hz? or is it even lower? Where is most of the "boom booms" range in dance music?

Thanks to all..
Have a great day!
Old 8th August 2011, 03:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Actually i think this woofer is better for not much more?

Dayton Audio DCS380-4 15" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Rob...
Old 8th August 2011, 07:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It really depends on the size of the venue that you will be DJ'ing at. I would first suggest that you have a look at some of Bill Fitzmaurice enclosure designs - they are well proven and fairly easy to build.

Second, since you are in Canada and if you are looking at the Dayton 15" drivers, I would suggest that you purchase through Solen Electronique in St-Hubert and avoid the costs of shipping, customs and duty from the USA. You can aslo get the Dayton subwoofer amps from them as well
Old 8th August 2011, 07:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Wow, thanks for the tip! that saves me alot of pain in shipping prices are good too... ... Hehehe ok i will check out Bill's designs....

As for the venue, like i said i do not do many during the year... the one i will do in Sept is at a hall in the West Island... thats probably the biggest venue i will do....

Thanks again for the tip buddy!

Rob...
Old 8th August 2011, 08:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

No problem, I have dealt with Solen for many years and they are great to work with, reasonable prices, quick/inexpensive shipping and know their products.

Any time you get into a reasonable size hall, an efficient bass/sub horn design will work better for you than other types of enclosures.

Last edited by Cokewithlime; 8th August 2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 8th August 2011, 08:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I sent Bill an email telling him what parts i gad to see what he says, i like his Tuba designs, very cool, and nice looking too...

I will probably end up building this sub and then simply building new mains to replace my AT-10s from Cerwin Vega...

Thanks again i will keep you up to date on my progress...

Rob...
Old 8th August 2011, 09:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Bonne chance and do post what you end up doing

Last edited by Cokewithlime; 8th August 2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 8th August 2011, 11:16 PM   #8
60ndown is offline 60ndown  United States
diyAudio Member

this amp has a lot more power for little more money

Bash 500W Digital Subwoofer Amplifier

and build this

The Othorn tapped horn

Last edited by 60ndown; 8th August 2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 9th August 2011, 03:46 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

robmorin - if you are looking to purchase the BASH sub amps - fyi, the best prices in Canada are from Creative Sound Solutions (CSS) in Abbotsford, BC.

They have both the BASH300 and the BASH500
Old 9th August 2011, 12:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the replies so far.... I did not notice much difference in the amps, as there are not many specs on either one except that the BASH has a 103db and the Dayton has only 90db... Also the BASH says 0.5 THD and Dayton does not seem to have it posted... With the BASH i do not see the heat sink, is it on the inside? if so that does not seem practice to keep any heat within the enclosure? unless there is a fan?

Comments?

Anyone use this BASH 300 before.... i am not knocking it, just comparing between the two thats all...

As for that Enclosure, woa! seems a bit complicated for my first sub build, maybe my second one i can try it... But thanks for the tip!

Thanks to all!

Hide this!Advertise here!