What speaker should I choose for this setup?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2011, 11:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What speaker should I choose for this setup??

Hi All,

I have been scouring the internet for some time in an effort to find a speaker for my TL sub woofer, hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can assist? I use the sub for HT, not so much for music.

The design of this TL was given to me by a dear friend who is no longer with us. He was an electronics engineer and understood all the philosophies of design etc... me I can build stuff, no so good with the technical aspects.

The design can be seen in the mock up I have attached. It currently houses a 12" Response 200W speaker and uses an amp kit and transformer (now constantly hums when on). In order to correct the hum I have an O Audio 500W bash amp to install this weekend? I now need to find a speaker to mate up.

Can anyone suggest what speaker/s would best suit this setup?

Many thanx

Cranks
From the Land Down Under
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Subby drawings.jpg (43.1 KB, 112 views)
Old 4th August 2011, 11:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

This lookes more like 2 Helmholz resonators coupled through a single driver. Not a transmission line. Extremely difficult to calculate precisely even if speaker parameters are known (by measurement, not man. spec.). Even if you would know how to calculate, a lot of experimentation (+ measurements) would be required to get it right.

I hope you get lucky and someone on this site has a cook book recipe for a known and available driver, otherwise I would try something simpler.
Old 4th August 2011, 11:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That's a 6th order bandpass system.
Old 5th August 2011, 12:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

the top chamber is tuned to ~64hz and the bottom ~46hz. reverse engineering to find a driver will be tough...
Old 5th August 2011, 12:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
That's a 6th order bandpass system.
Well, it is not quite the 6th order bandpass system as earthwhile patented by Bose for the Acoustimass. That one has only one chamber with an external vent, but a vent between the two chambers, connected by the driver. Cranks design has two chambers, each with an external vent.

I have seen DIY builds like this, but don't think they ever caught on. Normal Helmholz resonator (bass reflex) is 4th order. This enclosure ???th order.

Cranks, have you ever heard this enclosure work?

If not, and you already have the woodwork done, there might be possibilities to modify this setup so that you will get more predictable results.

vac
Old 5th August 2011, 01:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

vacuphile and revboden - thanks for your quick responses and updating my knowledge on the type speaker this is!

This is my current subwoofer and have been using it for years. As I mentioned in my first post it hums when powered on, so I thought it was about time to refurbish it.

So in answer to your question vac, yep woodwork all done, assembled and is use! :-). It's BIG!! Should I stick with this or I consider a new design?? It is only used it in my Home Theatre setup. Not for two channel.

BTW...I posted this before work and am now replying on my lunch break, so I may not be able to respond until I am home later tonite (Melb time).
Old 5th August 2011, 02:10 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Cranks,

If you are happy with the sound you had, just post the kind of speaker (brand, type, picture) that is in it now, and a replacement may be found.

vac
Old 5th August 2011, 02:33 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
Well, it is not quite the 6th order bandpass system as earthwhile patented by Bose for the Acoustimass. That one has only one chamber with an external vent, but a vent between the two chambers, connected by the driver. Cranks design has two chambers, each with an external vent.
It's a 6th order BP design.

The Bose alignment you described sounds like a 6th order series-tuned design, though the internals I've seen suggest that their last BP design was an 8th order alignment.
Old 5th August 2011, 08:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks vac...

See the attached pics of the speaker insitu.

It's a RE/SPONSE 12" Premium Power Subwoofer 200W 4ohm designed by TSO(?) USA. I did a search for TSO USA but couldn't find any reference to audio speakers.

Attachment 233952

Attachment 233953

Cranks
Old 5th August 2011, 12:11 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
Thanks vac...

See the attached pics of the speaker insitu.

It's a RE/SPONSE 12" Premium Power Subwoofer 200W 4ohm designed by TSO(?) USA. I did a search for TSO USA but couldn't find any reference to audio speakers.

Cranks
Try these!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110728_172105.jpg (716.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110728_172331.jpg (499.2 KB, 75 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!