What speaker should I choose for this setup??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I have been scouring the internet for some time in an effort to find a speaker for my TL sub woofer, hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can assist? I use the sub for HT, not so much for music.

The design of this TL was given to me by a dear friend who is no longer with us. He was an electronics engineer and understood all the philosophies of design etc... me I can build stuff, no so good with the technical aspects.

The design can be seen in the mock up I have attached. It currently houses a 12" Response 200W speaker and uses an amp kit and transformer (now constantly hums when on). In order to correct the hum I have an O Audio 500W bash amp to install this weekend? I now need to find a speaker to mate up.

Can anyone suggest what speaker/s would best suit this setup?

Many thanx

Cranks
From the Land Down Under

Attachments

• Subby drawings.jpg
    Subby drawings.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 143
This lookes more like 2 Helmholz resonators coupled through a single driver. Not a transmission line. Extremely difficult to calculate precisely even if speaker parameters are known (by measurement, not man. spec.). Even if you would know how to calculate, a lot of experimentation (+ measurements) would be required to get it right.

I hope you get lucky and someone on this site has a cook book recipe for a known and available driver, otherwise I would try something simpler.

That's a 6th order bandpass system.

Well, it is not quite the 6th order bandpass system as earthwhile patented by Bose for the Acoustimass. That one has only one chamber with an external vent, but a vent between the two chambers, connected by the driver. Cranks design has two chambers, each with an external vent.

I have seen DIY builds like this, but don't think they ever caught on. Normal Helmholz resonator (bass reflex) is 4th order. This enclosure ???th order.

Cranks, have you ever heard this enclosure work?

If not, and you already have the woodwork done, there might be possibilities to modify this setup so that you will get more predictable results.

vac

vacuphile and revboden - thanks for your quick responses and updating my knowledge on the type speaker this is!

This is my current subwoofer and have been using it for years. As I mentioned in my first post it hums when powered on, so I thought it was about time to refurbish it.

So in answer to your question vac, yep woodwork all done, assembled and is use! :). It's BIG!! Should I stick with this or I consider a new design?? It is only used it in my Home Theatre setup. Not for two channel.

BTW...I posted this before work and am now replying on my lunch break, so I may not be able to respond until I am home later tonite (Melb time).

Well, it is not quite the 6th order bandpass system as earthwhile patented by Bose for the Acoustimass. That one has only one chamber with an external vent, but a vent between the two chambers, connected by the driver. Cranks design has two chambers, each with an external vent.

It's a 6th order BP design.

The Bose alignment you described sounds like a 6th order series-tuned design, though the internals I've seen suggest that their last BP design was an 8th order alignment.

Cranks,

Don't know this particular woofer, but I know the kind of product. It is a dual voice coil, and I expect it to have an avarage set of parameters. Now, the O Audio 500W bash amp you already have must be a nice piece of kit, and this woofer you have will almost certainly be overrun by it.

So, my suggestion would be the following. The Peerless 835017XXLS Peerless 835017 XXLS 12" Aluminum Cone 4 ohm: Madisound Speaker Store is nice. So is the Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 12" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm High Fidelity Reference Series.

I would go for either of them, and mount them in the enclosure you have now. In an enclosure your size, both subwoofers should be able to bring the roof down with the plate amp you have.

Then, if you are not quite happy with the results, at least you would have a very good driver and plate amp to start building a more predicable enclosure (which could be quite a bit smaller as well).

Final note: it is not necessary to use dacron or other kinds of dampening materials in a subwoofer. Actually, better not.

regards,vac

When I found what seemed to be optimal specs for this cab using HR's Wizard, it was an older typical car audio driver and the Dayton PA310-8 was ~ a perfect fit, but it's low Xmax makes it a non-starter unless corner loaded, so next best was the AE IB12A which with its 500 W/18.5 mm Xmax ratings has the highest dynamic headroom, but as you surmised, the other two should be plenty adequate for most HTs, so I guess whichever has the least delivered price.

GM

Thanks for all the great information vac!

I think I'll go for the Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 as it's power handling of 400W is close to the bash amps 500W. The The Peerless 835017XXLS power handling is less at 175W.

Just one question, when I was poking around the Parts Express site I came across an Eminence LAB 12 Generation II 12" Subwoofer
Should I consider this also?? And should I get some speaker gasketing tape too?

And thanks for the comment about dacron and dampening materials...I was about to head out and buy material to line the inside of the cabinet!! You're a Champion! :D:D

Now I can set to and install the bash amp this weekend as no matter what speaker I choose it will take 5 to 10 days to be delivered to me in Melbourne.

Thanks for all the great information vac!

I think I'll go for the Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 as it's power handling of 400W is close to the bash amps 500W. The The Peerless 835017XXLS power handling is less at 175W.

Just one question, when I was poking around the Parts Express site I came across an Eminence LAB 12 Generation II 12" Subwoofer Should I consider this also?? And should I get some speaker gasketing tape too?

Nope... on doing more research looks like the Peerless wins as I now find it will handle 350W max.... I think that would be enough to bring the house down! hahaha!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.