jbl gt800 subwoofer sag

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I bought two of these subs on ebay. One of the subwoofers has so much sag it's noteworthy. Check out the pictures. What do you guys think ? Is this even repairable ? I hooked it up and it seems to plays fine but it's xmax is severely limited.

*edit pisspoor packaging and/or fedex handling resulted in the frame being bent out of shape

Attachments

• jbls.jpg
    jbls.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 118
  • jbls2.jpg
    jbls2.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
yeh the frame is an easy fix. I applied acetone to the spider and fixed the cone in what I thnk is the regular position (probably off by a few mm). Waiting for it to completely dry, but so far it's not reverting to it's broken position. This bay be a stupid question, Can a spider sag perpendicular to the cones motion of travel ?

Hi there: Hope you are storing the drivers in the vertical position. Storage on the drivers back will promote sag. Obviously, stotage on the front will flatten the surround and deflect the cone inward. Hope this works out for you and that you will post longer term conditions. Assuming they survive the treatment, what plans do you have for these drivers? ...regards, Michael

thanks for the tip J, I am indeed storign them in the vertical position. I'll update the thread with any long term developments. There is a light noise in sync with excursion on the saggy one, but seems to work fine beside that, probably a tear with the spider. I don't really know anything about these drivers other than they are 4ohm, 93 spl, 35-5khz and 18-200w. I Was looking for a pair of 8"s to throw in a pair of 3-way kenwood cabinets w .55 cubes each, crossed at 800hz 12db. And looking at the t/s of the current JBL gt804 they model okay. pending spider repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.