wilson audio :watch dog subwoofer drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, you can do magnet >< magnet inside the cabinet and reverse the polarity of the driver inside the sub making them move in the same direction. (remember as you double the mass and not the cone area, you need half the cabinet volumen) My guess is that you can move them a wee bit closer by having their fronts pointing the same direction as the magnet of the front driver probably can be relatively close to the driver behind it. But you need to figure that out having them in your hands. Good news is that they are 8ohm bastards which means that a single current capable amp can drive both.

want pull push like this one for ultimate SQ, planning to drive them in parrallel i.e 2 ohm and powering them with some vintage krell ksa series amplifer in bridge mode!!!!
mrs2_fs.jpg

Bridging amps doesn´t generate improved current capabilities which is what you usually want if you parallel two woofers. If you apply the Krell sub approach with these WA woofers you´ll need around 280L volume, so the thing is getting pretty big as you are doing the opposite than a compound configuration and just parallel them... I thought you said they were 8ohm drivers, hence you get 4ohm with two in parallel, but the amp "sees" 2 ohm if you bridge it...

muddasirwaheedmalik how do you get your hands on drivers like these or the B&W 15"??

Anyway the Wilson drivers looks really good :)

There is no doubt that you should go ported. I have played with a Peerless 12" XLS in a sealed box, and with 400 W, which is enough to make ti bottom out. This is good, but not really good enough. You'll be missing the large output the port will deliver.
And a good ported design I think actually sounds better than a sealed design.

If you don't measure the T/S parameters,whivch would be the best, then try to estimate the size of the watchdog box. Build a box and put in some adequate tuneable ports. On the other hand you will still want to do some measurements to verify the freq response.

As for the needed amp, definetly go for class-d ..... very easy with e.g. Hypex modules. You will want the 400 Watt that they at least will be able to handle to get the best result. Don't mess around with small A/B amps for a big sub ;)

I of course agree that

Fs=24 hz...... i still want to go pull push compound magnet to magnet.......Vas under calculation.... nominal impedance =8 ohm i want to wire them parallel and run with class A bridged amp..... any old krelll...... just worried about linkwitz equalization xmax and power handling capabilites...........BUT i have a question.... if wilson needs to desing a highly sensitive ported design then the driver should have been very light and not to rigid dual spider which is hard to move by hand???????? are we not missing something?

the sum up from above review link:

The Bottom Line
The Watch Dog left me impressed but occasionally less than fully satisfied. I wish the ports didn't chuff. I wish it stayed strong a little deeper into the bass. I wish it were a little smaller. I wish it cost less. I wish these things only because its basic performance was rarely less than very good, and often excellent. I wish them because the physical package stands out from the crowd, with premium materials and immaculate fit and finish.
Lastly, I wish them because the Watch Dog shows how far a designer can take a single 12-inch driver. It's often accepted as axiomatic in audiophile circles that subwoofers using small-diameter drivers like the one in the Watch Dog sound better than those relying on 15- or 18-inch units because the former are intrinsically "faster." The truth is, speed is tied to frequency: the higher a driver plays, the faster it goes. Because bass is produced by "volume displacement"—that is, the driver's radiating area (bore) times the distance it can move (stroke)—a small, single driver is at a relative disadvantage because it has to work harder to generate the same output level at any given frequency. Smaller-is-better cheers from the sidelines notwithstanding, the Wilson Audio Watch Dog was sent into the fight with one paw tied behind its back. That it came out with its hide intact is a tribute to getting the fundamentals right: a relatively wide, smooth frequency response; modest distortion; only mild power compression in the important 30–40Hz range; good driver-cabinet matching; and confidence-inspiring quality control.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.