wilson audio :watch dog subwoofer drivers - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2011, 06:35 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

With ported and 140L youŽll have some idea of what to expect and with closed youŽll not. Go ported!
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:47 PM   #32
badman is online now badman  United States
diyAudio Member

And you're still not bothering to measure them to know.... such great toys and not willing to do your homework, not so good!
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:56 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Even at the simplest level a free air impedance sweep will tell you the Qts and Fs, which is better then nothing and very easy to do too. Strap a known mass to the dustcap and you will then know the full T/S specs.
Old 4th August 2011, 03:10 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

ok. t/s first . but just for some brain
stoClick the image to open in full size.rming here i got the pic of inside the dog cabinet
Old 4th August 2011, 03:11 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

any guess what could be going on inside.....the backplate is not as shallow as the cabinet... may be some sort of folded ports.
Old 4th August 2011, 04:14 PM   #36
badman is online now badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks like they have a separate chamber for the amp, a good idea. All the more reason you know you need the parameters. The vent is large surface area, but I think that's possible due to the painfully low sensitivity of the woofers.
Old 4th August 2011, 06:32 PM   #37
Baldin is offline Baldin  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Baldin
muddasirwaheedmalik how do you get your hands on drivers like these or the B&W 15"??

Anyway the Wilson drivers looks really good

There is no doubt that you should go ported. I have played with a Peerless 12" XLS in a sealed box, and with 400 W, which is enough to make ti bottom out. This is good, but not really good enough. You'll be missing the large output the port will deliver.
And a good ported design I think actually sounds better than a sealed design.

If you don't measure the T/S parameters,whivch would be the best, then try to estimate the size of the watchdog box. Build a box and put in some adequate tuneable ports. On the other hand you will still want to do some measurements to verify the freq response.

As for the needed amp, definetly go for class-d ..... very easy with e.g. Hypex modules. You will want the 400 Watt that they at least will be able to handle to get the best result. Don't mess around with small A/B amps for a big sub

I of course agree that
Old 6th August 2011, 08:26 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Fs=24 hz...... i still want to go pull push compound magnet to magnet.......Vas under calculation.... nominal impedance =8 ohm i want to wire them parallel and run with class A bridged amp..... any old krelll...... just worried about linkwitz equalization xmax and power handling capabilites...........BUT i have a question.... if wilson needs to desing a highly sensitive ported design then the driver should have been very light and not to rigid dual spider which is hard to move by hand???????? are we not missing something?
Old 6th August 2011, 08:40 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

a review for design considration:;;;;;Way Down Deep I Wilson Audio Watch Dog | Home Theater
Old 6th August 2011, 08:41 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

the sum up from above review link:

The Bottom Line
The Watch Dog left me impressed but occasionally less than fully satisfied. I wish the ports didn't chuff. I wish it stayed strong a little deeper into the bass. I wish it were a little smaller. I wish it cost less. I wish these things only because its basic performance was rarely less than very good, and often excellent. I wish them because the physical package stands out from the crowd, with premium materials and immaculate fit and finish.
Lastly, I wish them because the Watch Dog shows how far a designer can take a single 12-inch driver. It's often accepted as axiomatic in audiophile circles that subwoofers using small-diameter drivers like the one in the Watch Dog sound better than those relying on 15- or 18-inch units because the former are intrinsically "faster." The truth is, speed is tied to frequency: the higher a driver plays, the faster it goes. Because bass is produced by "volume displacement"—that is, the driver's radiating area (bore) times the distance it can move (stroke)—a small, single driver is at a relative disadvantage because it has to work harder to generate the same output level at any given frequency. Smaller-is-better cheers from the sidelines notwithstanding, the Wilson Audio Watch Dog was sent into the fight with one paw tied behind its back. That it came out with its hide intact is a tribute to getting the fundamentals right: a relatively wide, smooth frequency response; modest distortion; only mild power compression in the important 30–40Hz range; good driver-cabinet matching; and confidence-inspiring quality control.

Hide this!Advertise here!